cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disappointed with roll out of CRTC rules

Sheri
Just Moved In

I literally watch 5 channels in total, yet have to pay for the Essential package at $35, as well as 2 theme packs at $7 each.  All that for 5 channels.  I was really waiting for the basic cable package to come in at $25, and then wait for the other two channels to come in a la carte - perhaps at the same $7 each.  At least I would be saving $10 a month on channels I never watch.  However, I do have a free PVR rental, that was offered to me as a benefit of being a loyal customer -  I was advised today, after a 30 min wait, that I would loose that $15 savings, if I switch to the basic cable package.  So why switch? I might as well continue to pay for channels I do not watch. and in the meantime I will be seriously considering cancelling my tv package all together.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

From the Financial Post, at the time of the CRTC announcement:

The regulator said the slimmed-down entry-level packages must include local channels in each service area of Canada. Where available, they must also offer educational and legislature channels.

Meanwhile, the $25-a-month price does not include tax, nor the cost of renting or buying a cable or satellite set-top box.

Also, the CRTC stated at the time that this move was about choice, not cost savings......

Looks like Telus is meeting the letter of the law. For $13 more ($8 if you have other Telus services) you can get a package with the US channels, and no connection or rental fees, a better choice, in my opinion.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kimi
Organizer

I too am disappointment with Telus response to the CRTC ruling and will be terminate my Optik TV shortly.

Firstly thy are raising rates as of March 1st 2016 and then:

They are charging $100 for set up of skinny basic and charging for cable box and PVR rentals. They also are not offering any US channels in the skinny package. What a way to treat entry level customers who may upgrade to better packages in the future.

This totally goes away from the spirit of the legislation and I hope the CRTC catches on and reprimands them or shuts them down. I know it's business and they do not agree with the CRTC but It's a disgraceful way to do business.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

From the Financial Post, at the time of the CRTC announcement:

The regulator said the slimmed-down entry-level packages must include local channels in each service area of Canada. Where available, they must also offer educational and legislature channels.

Meanwhile, the $25-a-month price does not include tax, nor the cost of renting or buying a cable or satellite set-top box.

Also, the CRTC stated at the time that this move was about choice, not cost savings......

Looks like Telus is meeting the letter of the law. For $13 more ($8 if you have other Telus services) you can get a package with the US channels, and no connection or rental fees, a better choice, in my opinion.

NFtoBC

I have recently studied customer service and i can honestly say that the Telus employee reply makes this company look really bad. You have basically left the customers thinking that you only care about the money and not the customers wants. You wonder why so many people are cutting the cord these days and these comments will only cause even more to cut the cord. If you don't care about your customer why should they support you at all? You took a situation where the public was complaining and found other ways to profit off of it and bend the rules, this gives further reasons for the customer to just stop using you at all. I can't wait until the CRTC breaks up the monopoly with Bell this will make real change.....

geezer
Friendly Neighbour
I can't even locate the $25 per month package on the Telus site. A Chat rep told me it's called Optik TV Lite and I could find it at http://www.telus.com/en/ab/tv/new/plans/#/landing, but I don't see it anywhere. Has anyone else found it?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Choose Basic Combos ($15) on the page you linked. The Essentials and the Lite option is there.

NFtoBC

Which then directs you to a 1-800 number so you can then be pressured by a sales rep to be further ripped off.

Yeah, thanks.

Allen
Just Moved In

Agreed with the above.  I'm so annoyed with Telus and their many ways they keep trying to squeeze money out of customers.  It seems like every month I have to call in to find out about some increase that appears on my bill.  It's ridiculous!  I don't think it's even right to be charging customers at all for basic Canadian television and I'm seriously thinking about getting an old fashioned antenna or just quitting TV altogether.  The "letter of the law" Telus? Really?  That's the best you can do for customers?  You do this because you have a monopoly and no competition. Just because it's "the letter of the law" doesn't make it ethical or right.  And if that's the best the CRTC can do to protect consumers from getting gouged by paying for services we don't need or want, they'll be getting a complaint from me too.  Telus would do well to think about their customers they claim to value and not about what they can get away with.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are no Telus employees participating in this discussion. On the few occasions when they do, their name includes their role (e.g. Mod, Community Manager, or similar) like this: Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 8.09.14 AM.png

This Neighbourhood is inhabited by customers, just like you. We have no insight to Telus business plans, and no connection to the internal workings of Telus. We volunteer to share knowledge about Telus products and services which we have gained by experience or surmise. We are free to express our own opinions and comments, which may not always be in agreement with the ideals of Telus.

NFtoBC