There is no 4G (or any level of LTE) coverage in Kearney Ontario. Why does your coverage map say so?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

telepathix
Just Moved In

Hi all.  I have an iPhone 5 and a cottage up in Kearney Ontario (about 15 minutes north and east of Huntsville), on a lake called Bay Lake.  I have checked the coverage map carefully and it clearly states that of the 3 levels of 4G-LTE, high speed data coverage, 2 of them (fast and extra fast, as described) cover well over my area up there.  Unfortunately, this has not been my experience when at the cottage.  The truth is, I get 1 to 2 bars of 3G coverage that barely lets me make and receive phone calls, never mind trying to send and receive mail as this takes considerable time.

Why does your coverage map clearly show multiple 4G services covering well over and beyond my area when you are not actually providing that service there?

Note:  My relatives who are there with me frequently have all Rogers products - 2 iPhones and 1 internet laptop stick.  All of their devices receive super fast 4G service up there without issue - whether deep in the forest, inside the cottage, or outside.  I can't even get a 3rd 3G bar when dangling over the lake (thinking the more open space around me the better?)

Please address this - either fix the issue with your pushed services in that area so that they match your map - or update your coverage map to something more legitimate.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
rgl168
Connector

You have read the map wrong.  Telus has not indicated that your town has LTE.

View solution in original post

All Replies
abrons
Organizer

I believe the "coverage map" is just marketing hype. Make the consumer believe that Telus has great LTE coverage when in fact they don't. I'm in the same situation. Just recently bought a LTE phone based on the LTE coverage map for my area. No LTE signal at all! I work with people who are with Rogers and have no problems connecting with LTE. I guess Rogers claim "The fastest LTE speeds and in more places" is true. Unless this changes, I will be switching to Rogers when my contract expires. Good luck!

Dimo-X

Hi there, various factors such as line of sight, terrain, interference and proximity to the towers can affect your signal strength. Your phone will also choose the stronger of the signals available to it.

abrons
Organizer

The town I live in is not very large. I've been on the roof of a 15 storey condominium and still no signal. So what your saying is..."yes we offer LTE in your area, but only a very weak version of LTE". What's the purpose of advertising LTE coverage in certain areas where the LTE signal is so weak that our phones won't even connect to it? So i will stand by my original claim that the coverage map is "marketing hype"...

ET
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi abrons, you can always reach out to TELUS technical assistance department and have the issue reported. You should call them from another phone by dialing 1-866-558-2273.

slunce
Just Moved In

In order to view the 4G LTE coverage alone, only the 4G LTE (blasing fast) option should be chosen.

Otherwise the map shows full 4G coverage including HSPA+ and DC- HSPA+.  (Actually same functionality have Rogers and Bell coverage maps).

In addition to being in an area with 4G LTE coverage, device choice, landscape, proximity to tower and several other factors also affect the speeds achieved.

I just checked your location on the map, the current coverage it shows for Kearney Ontario is 4G DC-HSPA+ (extra fast) with theoretical speeds of 42Mpbs.

And by the way - Rogers coverage map doesn't show LTE  for Kearney Ontario  as of today neither.

Most Helpful
rgl168
Connector

You have read the map wrong.  Telus has not indicated that your town has LTE.

View solution in original post