cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to new device

NK1111
Neighbour
I recently purchased a new Samsung device, and transferred my number from the old phone ( cracked screen and outdated), to a new phone. Upon transfer I was charged by Telus as if I were a new customer, needing a new number and a new account. To the tune of almost $400! Has anyone else had this issue? Again, I merely transferred my service to a new phone.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Big box store? They would have likely put you on a new 2 year contract for the phone and the plan that goes with it since you're paying monthly. Did the big box store employee mention if you would be responsible for paying the taxes on the device up front? Did they make an error and instead of setting it up for $0 down, that they set it up as if you were paying a portion of the phone's cost up front? You may need to carefully read the paperwork they gave you and if there is a problem, you'll want to talk to them to see if they can fix it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If simply getting another phone you wouldn't need a new number and account. Typically switching phones just needs the SIM from the old phone physically moved to the new phone. If you did buy a new phone through Telus and didn't pay for it in full up front, you may have needed a new plan or contract and there may have been a down payment required for the phone itself depending on the options you chose, but you wouldn't have needed a new phone number or account number. I've been through several phones and different plans over the years with Telus and I'm pretty sure I still have my original account number.

Which phone did you get? Did you order it online from Telus or through a local Telus store? Are you paying monthly for the phone? Do you know what the down payment amount for the phone was? Do you still have your old Telus account and phone number from your old phone? You may ultimately need to talk to someone in sales at Telus directly to try get things sorted out.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I kept my old number and old account. I bought a Samsung phone from a local big box store. It was $0 down, with monthly payments added to the bill each month.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Big box store? They would have likely put you on a new 2 year contract for the phone and the plan that goes with it since you're paying monthly. Did the big box store employee mention if you would be responsible for paying the taxes on the device up front? Did they make an error and instead of setting it up for $0 down, that they set it up as if you were paying a portion of the phone's cost up front? You may need to carefully read the paperwork they gave you and if there is a problem, you'll want to talk to them to see if they can fix it.

I'll check with them, but since it's Telus that's charging me, I doubt that the store charged me a $400 deposit for the new phone.