cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor or no wireless reception

Leo1234
Just Moved In
Hello Telus. we are Koodo and TELUS mobility customers. Recently we have consistently experienced reception problems at Burnaby Metrotown, Downtown Vancouver, and inside most of the Costco shopping centers. Some of our friends who are Fido customers told us they didn’t have such problems. Hello Telus. We are Koodo and TELUS mobility customers. Recently we have consistently experienced reception problems at Burnaby Metrotown, Downtown Vancouver, and inside most of the Costco shopping centers. Some of our friends who are Fido customers told us they didn’t have such problems. Is TELUS not as reliable as Rogers? Are there services degradation problems with TELUS at those areas? Are there services degradation problems with TELUS at those areas? Could these types of recissues be addressed
7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Often inside large buildings there is a need for cellular repeaters. The owners of these facilities determine who gets to place their equipment inside.

See TTC subway cellular debacle for an extreme example.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Hello, thanks to your reply. Is there a way of confirming whether it’s a repeater issue of the buildings or TELUS’s issue.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are a couple of Cell Tower Mapping sites and apps. This is a popular one.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Justsomeoneinbc
Neighbour
If you are on 5G it might be helpful to turn that off as Telus 5G is absolutely horrible and does not penetrate buildings. I’ve found generally in Metrotown Telus service is not good - hardly functional in Metrotown as well as anywhere in station square. It’s a big problem and it makes me want to switch back to Rogers who didn’t have any of these issues.

I meant to say hardly functional in metropolis! If I get lunch at earls, JJ bean or any other restaurant in one of the new buildings I get no service - iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Turning off 5G does seem to make it slightly better, including in the mall. Funny enough the guy at the big Telus booth in metropolis has to go on wifi because he couldn’t get anything to load on 5G. Embarrassing.

5G has a very limited range compared to LTE/4G. For the higher frequency 5G bands, they do not penetrate buildings very well, especially concrete and steel structures. Unless the owners of the facilities allow repeaters, there's no easy answer. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Potentially, but in Metropolis mall I had full bars 5g and could not get a page to load or really any data throughput. This was not the case with Rogers which is using a different 5G band that is much more effective at penetrating buildings.

Metrotown is highly populated so the fact that these problems exist, including in a mall where Telus has 3 locations, means they are doing something wrong.