cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Pictures with the Moto G

jdlaurie
Neighbour

I have a Moto G and cannot send MMS picutures with data turned off.  Cannot send MMS pictures over WiFi.  Added a data plan and can now send MMS pictures with data turned on but it uses data to do it. Any help on how to change or set the APN settings?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Search these forums for more posts on this topic. The upshot is you need data to transfer MMS on a smartphone, due to the way the phone works. I understand you are not charged for that data.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

SuperFred

Hi, if you jave a plan that's including MMS, you won't be charged for sending/receiving pictures. but if you have data on without having a data plan, it's possible that some of your data applications like facebook, twitter, email accounts will be using little data amounts. Smartphones were made to be use with a data/Wi-fi connection in order to work properly. Hope this will help.

jdlaurie
Neighbour
First off thanks for weighing in! I do have unlimited texting plan with Telus which as you probably know includes MMS picture messaging. I don't have a data plan but did for one day. I enabled my data yesterday morning and lo and behold a handful of MMS picture messages sent by friends downloaded; using the data as evidenced by my phones data measuring page. I checked the amount, noted it and sent an MMS picture message. My phone showed 3MB data used for that picture. So MMS on this Moto G seems to use data to send theses messages.

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Search these forums for more posts on this topic. The upshot is you need data to transfer MMS on a smartphone, due to the way the phone works. I understand you are not charged for that data.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

SuperFred

Hi, if you jave a plan that's including MMS, you won't be charged for sending/receiving pictures. but if you have data on without having a data plan, it's possible that some of your data applications like facebook, twitter, email accounts will be using little data amounts. Smartphones were made to be use with a data/Wi-fi connection in order to work properly. Hope this will help.

jdlaurie
Neighbour
First off thanks for weighing in! I do have unlimited texting plan with Telus which as you probably know includes MMS picture messaging. I don't have a data plan but did for one day. I enabled my data yesterday morning and lo and behold a handful of MMS picture messages sent by friends downloaded; using the data as evidenced by my phones data measuring page. I checked the amount, noted it and sent an MMS picture message. My phone showed 3MB data used for that picture. So MMS on this Moto G seems to use data to send theses messages.

jdlaurie
Neighbour
A little update. When using the stock messaging app in KitKat I can't send MMS pictures without being charged for data, if I send MMS pictures with data turned on using Hangouts I don't get charged for using data but need to make sure all other apps are disabled or turned off. I also cannot send or receive MMS picture messages when I'm using WiFi even with data turned on.