cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage

rm-7
Organizer
so I've been with Telus for about 7 years now. They have great phones amd I'm satisfied. however, when I look at my plan for about $60 1gb of data I don't feel is good enough. I have friends with Fido and rogers who have 6 gb of data for $50! I want to increase my data usage because I hope to upgrade to the iPhone 6 but when I see how much I spend to how much I get, I don't feel it being good enough. I have no problem switching to rogers or fido or even bell. but I don't want to, I just want 6gb of data like the other cell companies provide.

16 REPLIES 16

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Don't expect that from Telus unless it's Saskatchewan or Manitoba, where they have competition and prices half of what they charge Albertans. Get the new iPhone from Telus? They'll charge a minimum of $80/mo for a plan and data is extra. Telus mobility store told me that 2 days ago when I was there asking about the new iPhone.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

v9
Rockstar

@-m-7: You're unsatisfied with the currently 60$ plan, that includes 1GB & make a comparison that friends' plans, with Fido/Rogers get (6GB for $50 monthly) those plans, Signed up in 2009-under the 3yrs contract, isn't longer available nowadays.

Users who still have it can keep them - but Fido/Rogers/impose a $5.00-price hike started on Aug/2014. Login this/Fido/link for more info: http://www.fido.ca/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group12?cn. Once opened the Website, click plans to view the options.

The last commenter is right -Telus won't let you, signed for a plan like that, because Data-prices went up. If you Upgrade to an iPhone6-plans starts at minimum $80. without Data - once you buy 2GB or more, your bill could surpass the $100-ea.month. If I were you - I'll keep my plan & stick around with Telus. CU "v9"

Was this answer useful - give kudos to the Author

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

tsizzle
Leader

Koodo/Fido/Virgin currently sell a 1GB plan for $65 (if you include the Tab M charge), not sure where you're seeing them get 6GB for $50. Some possibilities: as others have point out, could be a Saskatchewan/Manitoba plan or equally likely is a corporate plan that your friends some how got. v9 also threw out a possible theory that this is a much older plan is seeing price increases / cannot keep it while taking a device on subsidy (Rogers current policy).

As a regular customer, you would not be able to get the kind of deal you're talking about anywhere in Canada at present but would definitely suffer a worse customer experience at Rogers or Fido (other than at Wind, which has other drawbacks). Check if you can get a deal through your employer, otherwise unfortunately you're out of luck. 

You'll save money in the long-run if you buy your phones outright and take their plans + bring-your-own-device discount ($20/month on their Shareplus plans for example). Hurts to lay out the cash upfront but should be apparent how quickly this pays off.

xray
Hero
"I have no problem switching to rogers or fido or even bell. but I don't want to, I just want 6gb of data like the other cell companies provide."
Please tell us how you can get 6 GB plan for $50 and we'll all switch.

rm-7
Organizer
A buddy of mine got the Note 3 last October from rogers, with the Gear watch for 29$ and they upgraded his plan from 1gb of data to 6gb of data for an exta $5. 2 of my brothers n many other friends with fido all got 6gb of data n they pay $55, the most recent was the iphone 5s from fido n he switched from Bell. I've only heard of rogers n fido giving it out, but not telus or bell that's why I was wondering.

Fido BYOD 2 GB plan is $63 (no option for 6 GB plan)
Rogers BYOD 6 GB plan is $115

So I ask you again, how do you get a 6 GB plan today for $50?

rm-7
Organizer
The people from fido got the plan a few years ago I understand that. But the guy from Rogers got it oct 2013 6gb of data with tax is around $65, lol I saw the plan I was with him when he called rogers when they did ugrade for him. I know the fido ones were from a while back so that's discontinued. But rogers did do its not a question of did happen or not.. that's why im confused as to why I've never heard of a telus member having 6gb of data for 60$

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I had 6 GB for $65 shortly after Telus started offering the iPhone 3Gs. Haven't seen it very often since.

Was October 2013 before the 2 year contracts started?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rm-7
Organizer
Just as it started. I called telus, and wow I have to pay 80$ to keep my plan 265 for phone another 240 for cancellation n something else. Honestly they kept redirecting me n each one of them gave me different nunbers I'm really confused. I just don't find it fair to pay 85$ a month for a phone bill for maybe 2gb of data I thought they were gonna make it cheaper not upping up the price. N I'm not talking just about telus alone they have all made contracts so expensive with barley any good rates its unbelievable.

Who said cell phone plans were going to get cheaper? Sounds like you got suckered in by the governments ads and failed attempts at intervening in the telecom industry. 

rm-7
Organizer
As did everyone else. I thought it was only telus so at first I was really pissed off at them. But Rogers fido n bell have all screwed us over. I remember when I could have gotten. 6gb plan for around 85$ when there was a promotion but I thought that was too expensive... oh well I'll stick to my 1gb plan.

Thanks @m-7: For posting back N' add more details to discuss the issue, something a lot of new members fail to do so. All right finally-got convinced the 3Giants offer, almost the same plans+prices in CA. The 1GB plan is worthy to keep it up and thumbs up for escalated the case to Telus Client Care & verified that plan was inexistent.

Now let's use the Data & Airtime in smart way - Uninstall useless apps, install instead a good "Free" Cellphone Cleaner App like-Mobile CCleaner and you'll notice the difference in the Phone performance. Take easy! "v9"

Do you like this post - Give kudos to the author

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

Data plans have gotten cheaper.  I remember when it was $100 for 2mb!  I got my first data device when it was $100 for 100mb.  I was shocked when gigabyte plans were available when smartphones became popular.

The mess we are currently in is because of losing 3yr contracts where providers need to recoup costs of subsidized devices in a shorter window.  We should all blame Apple for this mess.  iPhones do NOT come with removeable batteries.  The iPhone 3's battery would fail after 18 months use or halfway through a three year contract.  Thus this all started when iPhones could not survive 3 year contracts and forced the market for shorter contracts.

If you don't like paying for the phone subsidy and want lower monthly prices.  Pay for the phone outright or bring your own device for a 10% discount.

http://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/services/bring-your-own-device/

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@xl
I thought 2 year contracts came about because the USA carriers had them, and 'everyone' figured we should have them too!

I know lots of folks using iPhone 3GS well beyond their 3 year contract, and many dropping other phones due to short battery life, and not wanting to deal with fiddling with batteries!

Just sayin' a particular phone is not necessarily to blame.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I remember 15 or 20 years ago on my first phone.  You had a choice on 1yr, 2yr or 3yr contracts.  Then everything became 3yr contracts as people wanted low prices and carriers needed a longer time to recoup phone costs.  That changed with the iPhone battery.

Pre-mature iPhone battery failures were not limited to Canada.  It was a problem in the US as well.

http://www.cio.com/article/2419524/consumer-technology/how-to-know-if-your-iphone-battery-is-on-deat...

Your friends iPhone battery experiences vary depending how often they use their phone and how often they charge it.  Is it charged daily, or charged multiple times a day.  The more often the iPhone was used, the faster the battery would fail in that 3yr contract.

As iPhone batteries were not replaceable...

• you needed to get a new iPhone
  • But you can't get a new phone if you are in a 3 year contract.
  • is this a brand new model?  You must sign a contract to get that iPhone!  But I have not paid off the current 3 year contract!
  • sorry you need to get a new phone as the iPhone battery was not replaceable.

Thus shorter contracts were demanded by iPhone consumers, especially those that want a new phone every 12 months when a new model is released.  It's all Apple's fault!

Don't like 3yr contracts?  There was always an option to buy the phone outright and pay monthly.  This manditory 2yr limitation totally raised prices.

I do give Apple credit for today's multi-gigabyte packages.  The iPhone high demand for uncompressed data forced providers to lower data costs as consumers could not afford nearly thousand dollar monthly bills.

If not the battery, Apple had another great idea to get you to upgrade sooner..... fragile screens!  Put your iPhone in your back pocket and sit down?  Drop an iPhone from waist high?  Competitor phones was easy to replace screen by a tech unbolting some screws... not iPhones.... out comes the hair dryer as you need to peel the screens as they were GLUED IN!

I always wondered why those early iPhones had such a smooth aluminum body.... it was so slippery that owners were dropping them all the time and forcing them to buy new phones!  Great concept to get your Apple sales up.  But you were tied to 3 year contract!

Then came the iPhone "Death grip".  You can get yourself a "bumper", but your phone was no longer sexy slim..... solution? get a new iPhone... but you were tied to a 3 year contract!

Check out this video on how the first iPhone 6 was sold to in Perth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yylt7yxbULo

Again, a great packaging design to increase iPhone sales.