cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Android phones?

Microfiche
Just Moved In

We have a Google Pixel 2 XL (March 2018) and Pixel 3 (April 2019) that we own (off contract or paid out) that were using Telus SIMs.

Just received new Pixel 5 phones and switched the SIMs into the new phones, and now I want to sell the old ones.

I have never really dealt much with unlocking - would these phones be locked to Telus?

If so, can they be unlocked by taking them to a Telus kiosk in a mall - the wait on the support phone line is 1 hour currently.

Do the SIMs need to be in the old phones in order for them to be unlocked?

What do I need to do in advance in order to get them unlocked over the phone if that is the only option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cellphones sold in Canada since December 2017 are required to be sold unlocked. Given the dates you describe, the phones should already be unlocked.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Microfiche
Just Moved In

In Winnipeg, Manitoba if that matters...

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

Hi, unfortunately you have to do it on the phone. You can find the instructions here: 

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/unlock-mobile-device

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cellphones sold in Canada since December 2017 are required to be sold unlocked. Given the dates you describe, the phones should already be unlocked.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

KnightShadey
Coach

Also, just for future reference for other users, all Pixel generation of phones, like the Nexus before them, were sold carrier-unlocked in Canada.

It wasn't widely advertised but they were the first to do so with the original Nexus.