cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus ZTE Cymbal 2 Phone...

Pintoguy
Advisor

I have just purchased a Telus ZTE Cymbal 2 cell phone. But when I connect it to the USB port on my computer, the MTP device driver will not install. After several attempts, I keep getting the "Driver Installation Failed" notification. My OS is 'Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit'. Is the Cymbal 2 phone not compatible with Windows 7? What would be a fix for this? I have contacted ZTE support reference this issue but they were unable to help. Has anyone else here had this problem with the ZTE Cymbal 2 phone???

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/accessories/product/zte-cymbal-2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pintoguy
Advisor

Update: Issue Resolved

ZTE tech support confirmed that their MTP Device Driver software for the Cymbal 2 cell phone is indeed compatible with Windows 7. They suggested that I update the 'Service Pack' on my OS. What I have done was to download and install the ' Convenience Rollup Package' for 'Windows 7 SP1' and reinstalled the 'ZTE Cymbal 2 MTP Device Driver' Software. The ZTE software now seems to have been installed successfully.  I am no longer getting the ''Unsuccessful Installation" error message.  When I now select 'Media device (MTP)' on my Cymbal 2 cell phone, the cell phone icon (Z2335L) then appears in the 'Computer' window on my computer under 'Portable Devices'.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may have to install the MTP drivers independent of connecting your phone to the USB port. See page 40 of the manual for a bit more info.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yeah. I tried to find the ZTE Cymbal 2 MTP driver online but I haven't had any luck. You would think that the ZTE Support site would have it but I haven't found it...

Pintoguy
Advisor

UPDATE: I found the 'ZTE MTP Device Driver file' online and downloaded it but it would not install. Is there anybody here that has a ZTE Cymbal 2 cell phone who have been able to successfully install the 'ZTE MTP Device Driver' software on a computer using 'Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit'? I would like to verify that this ZTE file is indeed compatible with Windows 7... 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have a friend or family member that has a Windows 10 device that you could try connecting your phone to? 

ZTE support should have been able to tell you about which OS their device is compatible with. If they couldn't, assume it's unsupported. The issue you are experiencing is between ZTE and a very out of date PC. If ZTE and their support does not even offer a driver download for the phone, please do not download random "drivers" from the web. There likely isn't a real driver available at all. The downloaded "drivers" are extremely likely to be for much different mainstream phones or the file could easily be malware, depending on the site it was downloaded from. 

Did you follow the steps in the manual that @NFtoBC linked to in his post? Does the Connect to PC menu display on the phone screen when first connected? Sometimes if you don't select MTP mode fast enough, Windows will fail to connect.

It's also entirely possible that the phone is not compatible with Windows 7. Windows 8 came out in 2012 and Windows 10 in 2015. The phone came out long after that so the manufacturer likely had little incentive to include support for Windows 7. Especially for such a low cost device. Microsoft officially ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015, and ended extended support in 2020. Your PC can be vulnerable since Windows 7 is past end of life and it is not getting security updates.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It's weird. The ZTE MTB Device Driver shows as being installed on my 'Programs' list and in my 'Device Manger' (flagged yellow under 'Portable Devices') yet I still get the error message 'Installation Unsuccessful'. I'm guessing that this ZTE software isn't compatible with  Windows 7 yet the ZTE support tech gave me instructions for installing the file specifically for Windows 7. It seems that the driver file will actually install on Windows 7 but it just doesn't work after the installation is finished. I am not inclined to use Windows 10 (I have one HDD with Windows 10) but if the phone doesn't work with Windows 7 I'll just live with it...

(And yes, I do get the 'Connect to PC' screen on the phone when I plug it in to my computer's USB port)

Pintoguy
Advisor

Update: Issue Resolved

ZTE tech support confirmed that their MTP Device Driver software for the Cymbal 2 cell phone is indeed compatible with Windows 7. They suggested that I update the 'Service Pack' on my OS. What I have done was to download and install the ' Convenience Rollup Package' for 'Windows 7 SP1' and reinstalled the 'ZTE Cymbal 2 MTP Device Driver' Software. The ZTE software now seems to have been installed successfully.  I am no longer getting the ''Unsuccessful Installation" error message.  When I now select 'Media device (MTP)' on my Cymbal 2 cell phone, the cell phone icon (Z2335L) then appears in the 'Computer' window on my computer under 'Portable Devices'.