Iphone without data plan

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Advisor

If my friend loans me there old iphone can I use it without a data plan?  Can I put my sim card in and start using it?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful

Yes you can. However, you would need to review your plan before doing that (inserting your sim card), as you might start using up data regardless (since it's a smartphone various applications will pull data).  If you don't want data, you have the option of blocking it. All of this should be done before you swap your sim card though.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advisor

My friend has the iPhone 4s and his contract is up in December.  He said he give it to me cause he's going to Rogers.  I just want to keep my $30 voice and text plan cause I don't need data and I would just use wifi. 

All Replies
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Is this a telus phone?  Otherwise is the phone unlocked and use the same Telus frequencies?  Does your current sim card fit the old phone?  Then yes.

Highlighted
Advisor

Yes it is a telus iPhone.  I know I would have to get a micro sim card.  But I wanted to know if I do all of that will Telus require me to get a data plan.  Or I heard stories, from USA customers, that they were putting their sim cards in and then the phone automatically adding a data plan to your account.

Highlighted
Advocate

No that will not happen... phone hardware changes (in this case, a SIM card swap) cannot modify something to do with the carrier the device is being used on. Perhaps it meant that they were now allowed to use data so in advertent usage charged them for it? That's the only thing I could think of.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Nope in the US only if they detect you are using a smartphone  on a non smartphone  (so voice/text only) plan they are like "Oh they must want to spend more for datta" so they add it on. Our carriers do not do that though

Highlighted
Most Helpful

Yes you can. However, you would need to review your plan before doing that (inserting your sim card), as you might start using up data regardless (since it's a smartphone various applications will pull data).  If you don't want data, you have the option of blocking it. All of this should be done before you swap your sim card though.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Yes, you can definitely do it. just try to check your plan and make sure to add a data blocker either in your plan or directly from your phone, Ohh and as well that is a Telus device or at least is unlocked. Hope this will help, take care!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Some iPhones (eg 3Gs) will not work without a data plan. When I moved mine to pay and talk, I had to add a minimum data plan.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Advisor

My friend has the iPhone 4s and his contract is up in December.  He said he give it to me cause he's going to Rogers.  I just want to keep my $30 voice and text plan cause I don't need data and I would just use wifi. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

Thats ok, just make sure to turn off your data services from phone or account. and you're saved! 🙂 Have a great one.