cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Access Play Store

Rick81
Coach

I am setting up a new phone user at our house. She has a [email protected] account and all is well with email and the calendar. HOWEVER, to download Firefox browser we need access to the Google Play Store.

Unfortunately access is denied? Do we need to set-up a Google account specifically for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero
Yes, you need a Google account that was created using either a regular gmail.com address or any other email address that's not running on the Gmail platform. Telus uses the Gmail platform so if you use a telus.net email address it hands over administration of what services available to TELUS. Since maps, play store, etc is not part of what TELUS is providing it locks you out.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

xray
Hero
Yes, you need a Google account that was created using either a regular gmail.com address or any other email address that's not running on the Gmail platform. Telus uses the Gmail platform so if you use a telus.net email address it hands over administration of what services available to TELUS. Since maps, play store, etc is not part of what TELUS is providing it locks you out.

You could also use a third party app store, like the one from Amazon. It would require side loading but it will give you access to most things and Amazon exclusives as well. Samsung also has their own app store and optimized versions of apps, like FireFox, that performed better than the PlayStore version because they are specifically optimized for Galaxy devices.

Rick81
Coach

Thanks to all who replied. I bit the bullet and opened a gmail.com account. It's inconvenient and I just love giving Google more of my family data ... sigh!

If Telus could FIX the google maps thing that alone would be worth sticking with Telus!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Or just log out of the Telus mail account when you're done with it and access maps like normal. Google will be tracking you whether you're logged in or not. Microsoft is just as bad but has hidden all the tracking into Windows itself. Edge spies harder than Chrome. Chrome spies harder than Firefox.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂