cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the most up to date info as to when Pure Fibre will be in my area?

Cortexian
Just Moved In

Telus used to have a map of Calgary they would update to show an estimate of when Fibre would be rolling out in new communities. As far as I can tell, the map has been replaced with a generic info page on Pure Fibre. I punch in my address and it just says it's not available in my area. I get Shaw Internet 300/20 now, so the regular non-Pure Fibre plans Telus offers aren't competitive.

Who do I call or email to get the latest information as to when (or if) Pure Fibre will be deployed in my neighborhood? Every time I call a Telus phone line, the tier 1 people just get my address and then say it's not available. When I inquire they give me a generic line about it not being available and that they would be more than happy to sign me up for a non-Fibre plan. Don't care about the non-Fibre plans one bit. I ask to be escalated, they take my number and say I'll get a call back... And I never do. Have called 2-3 times with the same result.

Is there anyone on this forum from Telus that could message me directly if they're knowledgeable on the subject?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I understand the frustration. I'm waiting for fibre in Edmonton here but since I'm in a newer area (circa 2006-8) which is close to the edge of the city, my area is a fair ways down the list. Most of the fibre installs / area upgrades in Edmonton (when the map was up) appeared to start centrally and were working their way outwards. 

I don't think you'll be able to get an exact estimate from anyone. Fibre infrastructure installs are very separate from sales and support. There are some areas that get fibre ahead of schedule, some on schedule, and some behind schedule. It all depends if any problems are encountered which could delay installation or anything that expedites it like aerial fibre. If one area that is ahead of yours has a delay, that could translate into a delay for all areas that follow. I suspect that may be a factor as to why the maps were taken down.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yep. the initial maps showed a central based deployment, however even then poor areas (95 street up to yellowhead) were left out due to lack of return on investment.. Boyle Street, 111 - 118 ave and anything north including Beverly (Little Nigeria/Somalia) even up to Yellowhead STILL arent done even though there are many multiple dwelling housing units in this area. You dont get much more central that 95 or 97 and 111 avenue.

But wait.. 82 street and 149 Ave (more affluent single or double floor homes) had the service installed (underground) last year and its right between the 2 poor areas that are set to be deployed with the cheaper ariel drop line that STYILL havent been done.

The form they want you to fill in to beg for the service is just an indicator to them of how much profit they will recieve from any given area, and they seem to prioritise those areas first.

As I stated in my last post, deployment seems to be based on purely a capitalistic for profit modle, and if this is not the case  they could not try any harder to make it appear this way.

Over here in edmonton the West Jasper Place received a nice postcard stating that since the weather has improved they could start working on the fibre optic connections. That was back early May.

I also find it troubling that they are now offering 300/300 unlimited ever since July 12, 2018.

https://twitter.com/TELUSNews/status/1017544956766851072

This is the last snap I have (2017.03.02) of the Telus Pure Fibre network (I have a bunch more snaps showing promise and promise and promise but nothing).

Telus appears to no longer care about connecting with the community.

The company involved with this whole deal is AFL Global.

Thanks for that map Daedalus it proves I'm nopt talkin out my backside to those that werent able to see it before it was removed. Sorry to hear you are in the same boat of being discriminated against based on the economic status of your neighborhood.

@Daedalus wrote:

Over here in edmonton the West Jasper Place received a nice postcard stating that since the weather has improved they could start working on the fibre optic connections. That was back early May.

I also find it troubling that they are now offering 300/300 unlimited ever since July 12, 2018.

This is the last snap I have (2017.03.02) of the Telus Pure Fibre network (I have a bunch more snaps showing promise and promise and promise but nothing).

@Foonus wrote:

..Sorry to hear you are in the same boat of being discriminated against based on the economic status of your neighborhood.

@Daedalus wrote:

Amazed the SJWs and equlaity people arent all over this as its the inner city migrant and mainly colored areas that are being overlooked by a company that spends millions on a positive image.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Foonus wrote:

Amazed the SJWs and equlaity people arent all over this as its the inner city migrant and mainly colored areas that are being overlooked by a company that spends millions on a positive image.

And you can't think of any technical reason why certain high density neighbourhoods might be later in being serviced?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In small communities where the build is complete, there is still mapping available (see Drumheller). Since Telus is not extending the build in the near term, it serves to easily indicate the limits of the service. For communities such a Calgary, mapping causes the angst you are describing, and simply creates expectations which may not be easily fulfilled.

NFtoBC

That makes sense,

At this point I'm not even looking for a definitive or tentative date. Would be nice to know if there are even plans to roll it out in my community though.

Is there anything an end user can do to bump Telus in the right direction? Perhaps a neighbourhood-wide door to door educational talk with home owners and a quick petition signature to show Telus that people want the connectivity in their area?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Getting ALL your neighbours in the 'hood to complete this form might help.

NFtoBC

The city maps have been taken down becuase they show people all to obviously that Telus deploys its Fibre based on a "return on investment" basis. Affluent neighborhoods are completed and now being offered 300/300 packages, but if you are stuck in a poor neighbourhood they will not install it based on the fact that they think that they wont have enough subscribers to get thier money back.

On top of this most of these areas have already been designated for deployment of inferior overhead fibre lines to deliver the service (if it every happens); and while this is done at a fraction of the cost of underground lines.. they are STILL TOO CHEAP to do it.

They will spend money however, to paste advertising for it on every billboard and bus stop in the area you can't subscribe to it for the past half decade and likely the next just to rub it in your face.

The "form" is just for them to get a measure of how much money they can get from installing it in any given area! I completed the "form" 4 months ago and got sent back this misleading information.

"

What to expect next:

Within the next few weeks, we'll connect your home or business to the TELUS PureFibre network. In most cases, this involves simply connecting via your existing utility pole, in which case we will proceed and notify you once the connection has been completed. If an underground connection is required, we will contact you to discuss any impacts to your property."

That was March 21... now when you try to fill in the form for this area it goes back to saying its not available.

Currently I am on a VDSL (dual ADSL) line In North East Edmonton, I had this set up 3 years ago but if I go to start a new internet subscription in this are even that is not available in this area its back down to single DSL line only... a downgrade of 50% speed over 3 years.

The word "pathetic" barely sums up the abuse of this capitalistic modle. To take down the maps that shows it to customers visually.. double shame on you Telus.

The future may be friendly... but as far as Telus goes in this area... today sure sucks.