cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi

HGolightly
Organizer
when I listen to Spotify on my Google mini it will frequently cut out.
Is there a way to fix this?

TIA
7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero
How far if the device from the router?
Is the device connected on 2.4 or 5h GHz?
Do you have the router Smart Steering turned on or off?

The router has been placed in a cupboard as I am in a new apartment build so it can’t be moved.

Smart Steering is turned off.

Let me ask again a different way. How far is the Google mini from the cubboard where your router is?

It's possible that the cupboard location of your router it impactng the WiFi signal, especially if there are appliances between the router and your devices.

If smart steering is off that means you have a separate SSID for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Which one is your Google mini connected to? Since your router is inside a cupboard the 2.4 GHz would likely be better.

sometimes I only have 3 bars on my phone and my tv signal pixelated.Every time a technician comes over they comment about the last technician not knowing what he was doing. I had one move the modem right beside the PVR and it didn't make a difference. so the next technician said I don't know why he would do that because that just makes it worse. I am at a loss

Sorry but I have no suggestions for you because I don't have enough information. You haven't answered any of my questions asking for more info.

the cupbard is about 10 feet from the router with only one wall in between. everything is set to 2 ghz

So based on that information I have some comments and recommendations.

- The fact that the router is in the cupboard and the WiFi signal has to travel through the cupboard and another wall could very well be impacting connectivity. This is especially true if that wall is structural with pipes and heating ducts.

- You are using 2.4 GHz already which helps since it's better than 5 GHz at passing through solid objects.

- You have smart steering off which also helps because it prevents the device from fip-flopping between 5 Ghz and 2.4 GHz causing drops in connections.

- The remaining factor you can follow up on is whether the channel being used on the 2.4 GHz frequency is overcrowded. This could be the case if there are many access points from your neighbors. You may need to manually set the channel to one that is less crowed. See this thread which has a discussion on this topic:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Issues-with-T3200M-modem/td-p/110827