cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi 6 With Home Phone

gbudd
Just Moved In

Thanks in advance to those of you that take the time to answer questions for those of us that are less technically proficient. 

We have Fibre 1gb, Optik TV (hard wired) and home phone. When we switched from Shaw, the tech told us that the Telus modems that support wifi 6, do not support the Telus internet phone service so the older modem supporting wifi 5 only was installed.

As the number of wifi 6 devices in our home increases, is there a way to access wifi 6 and continue to keep our landline with Telus?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@gbudd Wrote: Is there a way to access wifi 6 and continue to keep our landline with Telus?

Good day…

Depending on the Telus equipment installed it may be capable of upgrading to Wi-Fi 6. The Telus equipment must include a MoCa port on the Modem/Router to work.

The trick is to adapt your MoCa port which can support connection speeds up to 2.5Gbps allowing the need increased speeds to various WiFi 6 access points.

Now this does mandate you have to purchase/acquire additional equipment, as this is not a stock installation that Telus would do.

There are a number of YouTube videos outlining the use of MoCa adapters, I’ve included just one here for reference… A little research, and you should be go to go… Cheers…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeqbkfColRg

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Buy one on Amazon: http://lon.tv/zxbgc (compensated affiliate link) - GoCoax just released a new MoCA adapter with a 2.5 gigabit ethernet connector on board which unlocks the full speed of MoCA 2.5. MoCA allows you to use your existing cable television wiring for computer networking. It's almost ...

Our current Optik TV connection makes use of MoCA adapters.

Just to clarify, I would need to swap out the current modem for one that supports wi-fi 6 and the use of MoCA adapters and then would I need to use an adapter with the phone to get things to work. Thanks again for bearing with me on this.

@gbudd Wrote: Just to clarify, I would need to swap out the current modem for one that supports wi-fi 6 and the use of MoCA adapters.

Not necessarily, your could split the MoCa signal, and sent to you Optik Tv, as well as out to a WiFi 6 AP via a MoCa Ethernet adapter. This will indeed take some experimentation, however, I believe it is doable...

Would need to include MoCa 2.5 splitters, and adapters to have a chance to work... Cheers

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.