cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Internet Issue

kypaco
Just Moved In

Hi there,

I had Telus Home Security installed back in April or May of this year (indoor camera, thermostat control panel). Since then, my Telus PureFibre Internet 300 has been quite slow and not performing at its potential. 

Recently, I attempted to fix it by logging into my router and tinkering with some of the options. This tinkering included activating a 'TelusSmartDevice' wireless network setting where I was able to connect my indoor security camera and other Telus devices. I thought this fixed it all because my internet immediately improved.

This lasted about 5 days when I noticed the 2.4Ghz network began acting up, causing all of my smart devices (Alexa, smart bulbs, etc.) to become disconnected or difficult to control. When logging back into my router, I now see that 'Line 1' under the 'Status' tab shows 'Disconnected'. I reset it and it sorts itself out for a few hours, only to disconnect again and again. 

To note, I have three wireless radio broadcasts: 5.0Ghz, 2.4Ghz, and the TelusSmartDevice. I also just noticed that on my white Telus box that the modem is plugged into has a red solid light by the 'Replace Battery' line. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly configure my internet settings so that everything flows smoothly and without interruption?

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which router do you have? The white cylinder? The TelusSmartDevice network is specifically set up for 2.4GHz smart devices to connect to. The regular wifi often will switch between 2.4 and 5GHz which would cause most smart devices to disconnect.

If you're on fibre, Line 1 and Line 2 (phone lines), will always say disconnected. That is normal.

Have your tried the connection with a hard wired computer? There are so many things that can interfere with wifi in an average home. Once you test that, if the wired speed is not close to 300mbps, then call Telus for assistance.

For the white battery box with the red light, call Telus for that one. It likely just means the battery died or there's an issue. That should not affect your connection or speed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂