cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Default Gateway/Router Password DOES NOT Work, At All.

abquestioner
Friendly Neighbour

I have no idea what it's officially called - the physical design of this piece of technology is not only ridiculous, but cumbersome to work with, and also lacks important information on it unless you're willing to jostle it around trying to observe its nooks and crannies - but it's shaped like an egg, and is the router of my network. It's the model that has a plastic shell on the bottom as opposed to a lid on the top.

I'm trying to log into my router's settings by entering the IPv4 address of the router (192.168.1.254) into a web browser, entering admin as the username, and entering in the password (Not the one to connect to the network - the one that's labelled, and I quote, "Admin Password" - only for it to tell me that I didn't enter in the correct credentials.

I've tried everything - typing in the password a million times while constantly checking for errors, using different login names, and I just recently did a FACTORY RESET of the router. No dice.

What's going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I confess to being somewhat fortunate, as the installation technician borrowed my cell phone and took a picture of the label with the admin log in information before he put the cover on the modem.

Note that the modem is in 3 parts: the base plate that is affixed to the wall, the modem itself which is affixed to the base plate and, finally, the outside cover.  The label should be on the modem itself and is visible once you remove the cover.

Here is a video from Telus showing how the modem is installed:

NH20 Modem - Self Install 

Here is an explanation and a video  on how to remove the outside cover. It is from a techniciian who posts to an unofficial Telus Reddit thread:

The Reddit thread 

Video - removing the cover of an NH20 

Rather than risk damaging the modem .. you might prefer to give Telus a call.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

HSL
Advisor

Your installation may be different than mine but my best guess is that you are trying to log in to the wrong device.

I have a fibre installation which consists of two seperate boxes: 1) The router, which terminates the fibre and 2) The hub, which handles the wifi and wired services.

192.168.1.254 is the default address of the router *not* the hub. The password for the router is located on the router itself. My guess is that you are inadvertantly trying to log in to the router but are using the password for the hub.

The hub will have a different address. In my case it is 192.168.1.3 ... Your mileage may vary. You can infer the address of the hub the following way:

1) Assuming that your system is running Windows - launch File Explorer and navigate to the "Network" entry. Clicking on "Network" should result in a display showing the devices connected to your network. Look for "Telus Network Access Hub" . You may see 2 of them. Right click on each and select "properties". One will show an IP address of 192.168.1.254 .. the other will show the address of the hub. This is the address that you should be using to log in to your hub.

abquestioner
Friendly Neighbour

Okay, I did not mean to mark your reply as an answer. But it is greatly appreciated.

Last night, I decided to inspect the white box on my wall that has the actual optic fiber cable... thing... in it. However, all I could find on it were specifications. Where would I be able to find the default password for the router?

Okay, I should further add - the model is the NH20T. I have taken the lid off - and that's how I know the model name. There is no login information, it's just specifications.

I confess to being somewhat fortunate, as the installation technician borrowed my cell phone and took a picture of the label with the admin log in information before he put the cover on the modem.

Note that the modem is in 3 parts: the base plate that is affixed to the wall, the modem itself which is affixed to the base plate and, finally, the outside cover.  The label should be on the modem itself and is visible once you remove the cover.

Here is a video from Telus showing how the modem is installed:

NH20 Modem - Self Install 

Here is an explanation and a video  on how to remove the outside cover. It is from a techniciian who posts to an unofficial Telus Reddit thread:

The Reddit thread 

Video - removing the cover of an NH20 

Rather than risk damaging the modem .. you might prefer to give Telus a call.

abquestioner
Friendly Neighbour

Alright, so I think I get what you're referring to... to an extent.

So my modem is affixed to the wall, that's true. But I've only noticed there's two parts; the first is the physical modem... thing... that's attached to the wall proper. That's presumably where the optic-fibre input/output is located.

The second part is a white, plastic, rectangular prism that takes a cable from the part of the modem attached to the wall, and subsequently has a few Ethernet cables and ports coming out of the device. On this device, I've only found a sticker that has the technical specifications (E.g. required power, certifications, etc.). It's clear the greater plastic shell can be taken off, and is secured with 5 phillips screws. Is this the "outside cover" you refer to? And if so, is it necessary I must remove this "outside cover" to access the default password for the router?

In the case that it is necessary - is it possible there's another way? Potentially a method to change the modem's password from outside the modem, and subsequently log in?

Thanks in advance.

I think you are well on your way to dismantling your modem. It's time to stop and call in the pros.

Give Telus a call and explain your situation. They have the ability to remotely access your modem. I do not know to what level of administrative access they have but they *may* be able to change the password remotely. Then again, possibly not.

Alternatively .. they can send out a technician who can help you out.

DJB78
Friendly Neighbour

The admin password is definitely on there. Look just under the 3 barcodes