cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus 5 Ghz WiFi Band Keeps Dropping

garyyu17
Organizer

My 5 Ghz WiFi band keeps dropping the signal. Like each time I'd leave my iPad alone for a few hours or I'd be watching Netflix and then the WiFi would just die and I'd have to disconnect and reconnect to it. These are the settings in Advanced Set Up. Is there any opportunity for improvement here? I've also included the one for the 2.4 Ghz band.

Telus WiFi 5G Settings.PNGTelus WiFi 2.4Ghz Settings.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have a different SSID for 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz? Apple recommends using the same SSID. More here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support (CA)

Even with all the recommended settings I occaisionally still need to disconnect/reconnect to wi-fi with my iPad mini. 
Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have a different SSID for 5Ghz vs 2.4Ghz? Apple recommends using the same SSID. More here:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support (CA)

Even with all the recommended settings I occaisionally still need to disconnect/reconnect to wi-fi with my iPad mini. 
Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

xray
Hero

IMO the Apple recommendations on using smart steering are for ease of support/usage reasons and not based on technical reasons. I find that having separate SSID bands is much more reliable but takes a little bit of knowledge to know the client device capabilities, i.e. don't look for the 5 GHz SSID when you are on a device than is only capable of 2.4 GHz. I have a lot of smart devices on my network that only connect to 2.4 GHz and smart steering caused a lot of setup issues.