cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3200M... failing?

bcsteeve
Just Moved In

I've never been thrilled with the limited router functions of the T3200M, but the wifi performance has always been solid for me.  Until recently.  I think I went a year or more without rebooting the thing in the past, and now it seems like I'm rebooting it a couple of times a week.  My 2.4ghz SSIDs just disappear.  For most devices, I wouldn't even notice... but I've got smoke alarms, smart lights, and other devices that only work on 2.4ghz.

I figured I'd just shut off the wifi and buy a new router from Costco for the wifi alone, and figured it would likely be an upgrade, if anything... but not even close!  I did some tests at various locations around the house with my phone, and I'm getting between 177/89 mpbs (up/down) in the furthest location to 543/276 in the closest spot.  With the Costco D-link I bought (for over $200), I'm maxed out at 93/94 (and typical is around 50).

I'm not sure if I should be trying to get my T3200M replaced, or if I need to try again at a different router, but this time with more thought than "its at Costco"  lol

Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

bcsteeve
Just Moved In

Oh, and ps... Internet-only here.  No OptikTV, no phone, etc.

DrPacman
Rockstar

@bcsteeve Wrote: I'm not sure if I should be trying to get my T3200M replaced, or if I need to try again at a different router, but this time with more thought than "its at Costco"

I'm guessing that TELUS would be reluctant to replace a T3200M at this time as they are distributing the newer Arcadyan NH20A and the Technicolor FXA5000 on most of the new installs. However, would never hurt to contact tech support to see what you can arrange. 

The advantage of putting your current T3200M in bridged mode and running a better router/firewall is an attractive option. However, as you stated I would do a little research to see what better equipment that may be out there. Costco may not be the best place to start, then again, you never know what products they may bring in on any given week.... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.