cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology Router RT2600ac without bridge connection

Sports_fan11
Just Moved In

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with connecting a Synology Router RT2600ac for their internet and TV with no issues.  I connected mine, but my TV would lose its connection every 10 seconds or so.  No issues with the internet.  I had a technician come and set up a bridge connection with the TELUS T3200M modem but I was having wifi and internet issues when it was bridged.  Ideally would love to just use the Synology router for everything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The reason your TVs cut out after 10 seconds is that the Synology Router doesnt properly support multi-cast data traffic. It's also possible it's not configured correctly to handle multi-cast data. Very few third party routers properly support multi-cast correctly.

Normally the advice tends to be use your router for everything but the TVs and to keep the TVs connected to the T3200M. Go through all the settings on your router or contact Synology support to confirm if multi-cast is enabled and configured correctly, or if the router even properly supports it. You may get lucky, but again very few third party routers properly support multi-cast correctly.

Edit: If you have wireless Optik set top boxes they'll need to connect to the T3200M directly. If the Synology router does support multi-cast, be sure to check if multi-cast can be blocked on wifi on the router. If it isn't, it could result in slow wifi from your router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The reason your TVs cut out after 10 seconds is that the Synology Router doesnt properly support multi-cast data traffic. It's also possible it's not configured correctly to handle multi-cast data. Very few third party routers properly support multi-cast correctly.

Normally the advice tends to be use your router for everything but the TVs and to keep the TVs connected to the T3200M. Go through all the settings on your router or contact Synology support to confirm if multi-cast is enabled and configured correctly, or if the router even properly supports it. You may get lucky, but again very few third party routers properly support multi-cast correctly.

Edit: If you have wireless Optik set top boxes they'll need to connect to the T3200M directly. If the Synology router does support multi-cast, be sure to check if multi-cast can be blocked on wifi on the router. If it isn't, it could result in slow wifi from your router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂