cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static Public IP address

Sam49
Friendly Neighbour

Good Evening,

I need to set my public IP address as static IP address so that every morning when I need to connect to the company's server (after turning off the internet router at night) I don't have any problem.

I tried the DHCP reservation with MAC address but that doesn't work all the time.  I was told you should set your public IP address as static address but I don't know how to do that since public IP address changes every time you turn off the router at night and turn it back on the next morning.

Router model# T3200M

Does anyone khttps://forum.telus.com/t5/Forums/ct-p/Forumsnow how to do that?

I will appreciate your assistance.

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn't offer static IPs on residential accounts currently. If you try force the WAN IP to be static, you will eventually run into problems once the DHCP lease expires. I would recommend leaving the T3200 plugged in. There's no compelling reason to unplug it at night. I leave my T3200 plugged in 24/7 and my IP address usually only changes a couple times per year.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Sam49
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for your response but other employees of our company have been able to do that.  I am not sure if they are all on Telus network but they have set their public IP address as static.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

A static IP is not something an end user can set themselves. It is something that is provided by the service provider. Static IPs are currently only offered to those individuals on business internet plans.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would try using your modem IP address. This is still a dynamic address but it's likely the only address you can try to make work for VPN. You can find it on the login page for your T3200M under WAN connection status. I believe the only time this address could change is when you restart the T3200M. My router currently has been up for 218 days.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

PS I just noticed you are restarting your router every day?! If you wish to keep the address this will definitely be an issue.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Sam49
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for your responses.

No, I don't restart it everyday.  Since I'm living in a very small place I like to unplug it at night which changes the IP address.