cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask for a router upgrade?

YYCGuy
Organizer

I have a T-3200M router. Have had it for at least 2 or 3 years now.  I am wondering if Telus has newer router models available?  And if so, can I ask to get a newer model? Nothing necessarily wrong with my existing router but I do like to stay with current hardware where possible. My neighborhood doesn't have fibre so I can't have Wifi 6 anyway. So is there any point even trying to upgrade the router?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't imagine that will change. Telus is unlikely to have an updated router for copper as their push is to fiber. There are wifi boosters/extenders that support WPA3 if that's a concern for you.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

xray
Hero

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The best router is the one you forgot you even have because it just works with no maintenance and no issues.

BTW, you can have WiFi 6 on your LAN without fibre. You won't gain any Internet speed but there are other benefits to using WiFi 6 other than speed. Google has much more info on this than I can post here.

Have since found out that only the WPA2 security protocol is supported on copper. So no security benefit with upgrading to a new router even if I did upgrade. Pretty disappointing that Telus only offers WPA3 to their "premium" fibre customers. In my view good security should be a universal right, not an elite one.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't imagine that will change. Telus is unlikely to have an updated router for copper as their push is to fiber. There are wifi boosters/extenders that support WPA3 if that's a concern for you.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

MetaBotNot
Friendly Neighbour

Hi There,

I recently was experiencing many issues such as Wifi dropouts with my T3200M and Optik TV freezing so I reported this to Telus.  The technician came by and replaced the T3200M with a refurbished unit and replaced my older version Optik STB's with newer model refurbished units.  The technician said they typically use refurbished units as replacements.  The newer model refurbished Optik STB's were a noticeable improvement especially with GUI speed and the Netflix app.  Hope this helps.