cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a separate network for tenant (bridge mode)

Austinw
Just Moved In
I have the "Telus Wifi Hub", I understand I can set port 1 to bridge mode, run that into another router and set up a separate wifi network for my tenant.

My questions are...

- the new router will be in the rental suite. If the tenant unplugs the ethernet cord, will they have access to my other devices on my personal network? (Theyd have access to the port 1 bridge ethernet cable)

- I have optik TV in the rental suite. Will I run into any issues plugging the TV box into this new router?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's a third party router Optik TV may not work at all. Most third party routers don't support multi-cast data streams which is what Optik TV uses. If you were able to get a Telus gateway, even second hand, that may make things far simpler. The Actiontec T3200M, which is the predecessor to the Telus Wifi Hub, comes to mind. There are a few for sale on Kijiji for fairly cheap and would work with Optik TV. Connect the ethernet cable from your bridged port on the Wifi Hub to the WAN port on the back of the T3200M and set up that one as normal. The default username and password to log in are on a sticker on the side. It would be a physically separate network with separate wifi.

Connecting the rental suite set top box wirelessly to the main Wifi Hub could be a problem if you also have a PVR. The renters would have access to all of your recordings, could record their own content, and even delete things you've recorded as well. If that isn't a worry or if you don't have a PVR, then you can connect it wirelessly to the Wifi Hub. You may have to check with tech support to ensure the Optik box will work on a bridged port if you have a PVR and don't want the renters accessing the PVR. I think it may work but I've never tried myself.

Additionally, if you don't have paid purchases locked down or blocked, the renters could also order paid content like on-demand movies or PPV and charge it to your account. See: Optik Purchase PIN. I believe you can also call in and have an account wide block put on purchases through the set top boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There likely will be difficulty with the TV if it is on a different subnet. You could connect it wirelessly to your central router.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it's a third party router Optik TV may not work at all. Most third party routers don't support multi-cast data streams which is what Optik TV uses. If you were able to get a Telus gateway, even second hand, that may make things far simpler. The Actiontec T3200M, which is the predecessor to the Telus Wifi Hub, comes to mind. There are a few for sale on Kijiji for fairly cheap and would work with Optik TV. Connect the ethernet cable from your bridged port on the Wifi Hub to the WAN port on the back of the T3200M and set up that one as normal. The default username and password to log in are on a sticker on the side. It would be a physically separate network with separate wifi.

Connecting the rental suite set top box wirelessly to the main Wifi Hub could be a problem if you also have a PVR. The renters would have access to all of your recordings, could record their own content, and even delete things you've recorded as well. If that isn't a worry or if you don't have a PVR, then you can connect it wirelessly to the Wifi Hub. You may have to check with tech support to ensure the Optik box will work on a bridged port if you have a PVR and don't want the renters accessing the PVR. I think it may work but I've never tried myself.

Additionally, if you don't have paid purchases locked down or blocked, the renters could also order paid content like on-demand movies or PPV and charge it to your account. See: Optik Purchase PIN. I believe you can also call in and have an account wide block put on purchases through the set top boxes.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated!