cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Chromecast on both guest wifi and main wifi

Dan_emde
Neighbour

I have a T3200M and am trying to get a Chromecast connected to both my guest network and my main network. When setting up the Chromecast I would get to connecting to wifi and sometimes it works but most of the time it does not. The few times that it works I would go to Netflix to test out streaming and would not be able to find the Chromecast, I would then go in to the Home app and it would not be able to connect to the Chromecast. Even though I had just finished setting it up and the Home app had no problem connecting. The CTV app had no problem connecting to the Chromecast. 

The Chromecast connected to my main network was working just fine. However it is now having some problems as well. I would go in to Netflix and have no problems connecting and streaming and then go in to Netflix later and it would no be able to connect. The Home app also would not be able to connect.

I also have a ASUS AT-AC68U router that I used a while ago that is not currently hooked up but was wondering if this might be a better solution...

I am looking for any help at all.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You might be best to create a separate subnet using an additional router for the suite. That way all traffic is separated from your network. If you are on Fibre, you could place a switch between the ONT and two routers; or you can bridge Port 1 of your main router to use for the second network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Dan_emde
Neighbour

Forgot to mention that I have a guest suite and want to keep the internet and Chromecast on separate networks for the guest and our selves.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

so 2 Chromecast devices, each connected to a different SSID, and managed independently by the viewer of the TV?

NFtoBC

That would be correct.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You might be best to create a separate subnet using an additional router for the suite. That way all traffic is separated from your network. If you are on Fibre, you could place a switch between the ONT and two routers; or you can bridge Port 1 of your main router to use for the second network.

NFtoBC

Thanks! I'll give that a try. I will have to wait until our current guest leaves before trying it as I kind have it working, not how I want to right now, but it works.

Thanks,

rc
Rockstar

Is SSID isolation enabled in the T3200?  if not enable it and see if it makes a difference,