cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural internet location qualifications

dwest
Organizer
Looked up my address and it doesn’t qualify for the Telus hub. In the right location I can get a single bar on my iPhone XSmax (I only mention the model because I know different phones represent signal strengths differently). Been suffering beyond poor service from Xplornet and am desperate to find an alternative. A neighbor has a Uniden cellular booster and can get 5 bars on my phone near it’s inside antena.
My question is would me installing a similar booster and saying I have 5 bars on my phone qualify this address for Telus rural internet? If anyone know a number to contact someone at Telus to discuss this, that would also be appreciated. The cell booster is not cheap but over the course of 14months I’ll have covered the cost of the booster in the monthly savings AND I’ll be able to use my cell phone around the house !!!
5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Qualification for Telus rural internet offerings includes the ability of the cell towers to handle the volume of traffic these services generate. For the most part, if the tower is not on the Telus Fibre network, it cannot support the residential cellular internet services.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you for the info. I have an app and there are 3 potential towers that I am connecting too. Is there a way I can find out which tower my cell phone is connected to? I obviously am a Telus mobility customer. I have the GPS coordinates of the towers as well as a distance&bearing to them from my location.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

AFAIK, the towers are anonymous to your phone, and there is no way to discern which you are connected to at any particular time.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

The internet smart hubs are registered to a single tower so you need to have a certain amount of signal strength potential from one to qualify your address for a hub. There is a trial going on right now for rural hub customers that are just barely on the fringe of a coverage area where they can mount an external yagi antenna on your roof and run a line inside that feeds the hub to boost the signal. What's the nearest town to where you're at? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Chicnstu thank you!
I live in Louis Creek BC. 
There are a few towers in the direction that a neighbors cell booster points in. A bearing of approx 100deg from me. Is there an email I can send you some screen caps from an app that show my location and possible towers? The app has the gps coords of each of the towers as well.