cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running fibre line and home planning

Sciguy05
Neighbour
Hi

I am remodeling my home and have the drywall riped off.

My idea is to have a low voltage panel and a network switch in there. From there I will have about 15 cat6 runs to various parts of the home.

So basically: telephone pole -> outside box -> low volt panel-> ONT -> telus modem -> network switch -> cat6 cable runs to wall ports.

(1) anything wrong with this setup?
(2) I will need a phone line as well but I heard the ONT handles this, so I can just run the signal through a cat6 cable I already ran, correct?
(3) telus says I need to run the fiber line from my low volt panel where the ONT will be to the box they will install on the side of the home. What are the specs of this cable? The people at gescan couldn't help me as their are many different cables. I think it needs to be OFNR outside/ inside rated? Single mode? Where can I get this cable (the run is about 80-100 feet). Do I need to make the terminations as well or can telus do that?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Discussed this with my Telus buddy. His suggestion is to install a conduit from the demarcation point to the cabinet, for 2 reasons:

Telus will pull the needed Fibre through the conduit at time of install, so long as a pull string is present in the conduit

Mice seem to love the fibre cover, and the conduit will protect the fibre from rodents

The conduit will allow additional cables to be pulled, or a replacement pulled. I sure wish conduit had been laid to the coax and phone line locations in my house!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is there a possibility to place the ONT nearer the demarcation point, and run Ethernet / phone to the low voltage panel? 

NFtoBC

No as there is no power nearby

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Discussed this with my Telus buddy. His suggestion is to install a conduit from the demarcation point to the cabinet, for 2 reasons:

Telus will pull the needed Fibre through the conduit at time of install, so long as a pull string is present in the conduit

Mice seem to love the fibre cover, and the conduit will protect the fibre from rodents

The conduit will allow additional cables to be pulled, or a replacement pulled. I sure wish conduit had been laid to the coax and phone line locations in my house!

NFtoBC