cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Review of Telus 1Gb/s after a couple of weeks….

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good Day all…

As the subject line reads, this is a review of my overall impression of the Telus Pure Fiber internet after a couple of weeks of service.

Let’s start with the order process… The Condo building in which I reside was recently upgraded to support fiber. That process took approximately 4 days give, or take. The installation team consisted of about 5 members working in unison pulling the fiber between the various floors, and then installing a drop connection within all the various units… The entire team was very professional, courteous and well versed in the installation of the fiber drops. The installation within the unit was no more than an hour tops.

Once the drop was installed, the longest wait was to have Telus update their database reflecting the installation of the fiber so one could actually request a completed installation. That process took the better part of a couple weeks.

Again, when the address update was completed, I contacted an agent via a voice call to discuss the various plans and incentives being offered. That agent was courteous and very professional as well. He was knowledgeable of any offerings currently being promoted and was will in discuss options that I may need… We came to an agreement of what service in required, and set an installation date.

The date of installation was scheduled for the following Wednesday late in the morning. I was surprised by the timing as I called late Friday afternoon to arrange for the installation and thought I’d be looking at a longer installation date.

Approximately 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival time of the installer, we received a call confirming that they, yes, they would arrive within the next few minutes, and just wanted to give a heads-up notice. Right on time within a minute of the scheduled appointment time they arrived.

After looking at the various locations of the needed fiber run withing the condo, the collected the various components required from their vehicle to complete the installation. The installation required a run of fiber between 2 rooms within the unit. That process was fully completed again with professionalism, and courteous manner. Utilizing the new near invisible fiber material, its impossible to see the fiber at all. The best install of a cable I have witnessed in over 40 years of being to the IT industry. These guys really knew their stuff…

Once hooked up, and speed tested, we show simultaneous transfer speeds in the high 930’s Mbps with a 4ms ping time. Very impressive indeed.

Did I mention that up until this time we have been loyal Shaw clients for almost 20 years, so converting to Telus was not taken lightly. What was considered, was the fact that after all this time with Shaw, all the incentives monetarily have been discontinued for us. Our service was going to increase by about $48.00 a month. Telus on the other hand offered an attractive incentive to convert, and commit to a 2-year plan.

I don’t normally take the time to do this type of review, however, I wanted to let anyone considering the switch from another IPS to Telus to seriously consider doing just that. I don’t normally endorse anyone provider as I believe they are just that, a service provider. If I don’t receive the service as expected, I have no problem changing them for someone else.

In this case I just wanted to give Kudos to the entire Telus team… Congrats from a satisfied client...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

Almost a year has passed since the installation of TELUS Pure fiber here within the condo unit.

I can honestly say the most complex problem I’ve experienced is a billing problem after the CC established to auto pay the account was compromised outside of the TELUS system, and totally not the fault or problem of TELUS. It took a couple of phone calls to TELUS billing to update the new CC number.

Internet service has never failed once not for any period of time. (I have monitoring to an internal server to assure full uptime access for verification).

The speed has never dropped below 920Mbps and 4ms ping no matter what time, or day of the week… This has been the best experience I have had from an ISP ever.

Am absolutely glad I traded up from SHAW.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm assuming you're in Vancouver. I threw a random address about a block from East Hastings and Nanaimo Street into the PureFibre website and there is fibre available in that area.

If you are in a strata or apartment building, the strata or building owner would need to apply to have the fibre installed to the building. It doesn't cost the strata anything to have it installed. Send this link to someone on your strata and make clear to them you want fibre. Having a few other neighbours in the building make the same request couldn't hurt.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Kalidgh
Advisor

Mine is almost the polar opposite.  I worked in CATV and owned my cable companies.  Sold them to Shaw and 6 years later switched to Telus.  If it stays running for 30 minutes right now we are cheering in the house.  They are trying to sort it out, but really getting no where.  30+ years of Cable TV with zero problems.....now I am hoping for 45 minutes in a row with Telus tomorrow morning  .  

Mikeer
Neighbour
I just changed from Shaw to telus 1 gig fibre. Shaw was great for me but telus was cheaper and theoretically faster. Unfortunately the wifi speed is constantly lower (450-500) compared to what I had in Shaw (620). Even a wired connection is only 650. A speed test on the modem is 400-900mbps. Very inconsistent and not as fast as advertised.

DrPacman
Rockstar

Almost a year has passed since the installation of TELUS Pure fiber here within the condo unit.

I can honestly say the most complex problem I’ve experienced is a billing problem after the CC established to auto pay the account was compromised outside of the TELUS system, and totally not the fault or problem of TELUS. It took a couple of phone calls to TELUS billing to update the new CC number.

Internet service has never failed once not for any period of time. (I have monitoring to an internal server to assure full uptime access for verification).

The speed has never dropped below 920Mbps and 4ms ping no matter what time, or day of the week… This has been the best experience I have had from an ISP ever.

Am absolutely glad I traded up from SHAW.