Replacing T3200 with new Wifi Hub

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

So to upgrade the T3200 I need to consider:

- TELUS Home Security IP's

- TELUS Optik TV

- TELUS Boost Wifi x 5

My questions.

- Can I preconfigure the new Wifi hub ahead of time, Ie. setting up wifi network, passwords, etc.

- Is there any reason to break away from 192.168 subnet. - Move to 10.2. etc.

- should I silo my TV, home wifi and network, security into different subnets. Yep, administrative nightmare, but just curious.

- Can I run Parallel with both devices, while I transition from old to new? Create different SSID and map things across, one by one? when complete, remove the T3200.

- Optik TV requirements - heard lots of stores. I have one PVR hard wired, and one WiFi unit, however I can hardwire it now if needed.

I just don't want to reinvent the wheel. If someone has been down this road before, I'd like to learn in advance.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

- Can I preconfigure the new Wifi hub ahead of time, Ie. setting up wifi network, passwords, etc.

While you could, I just set up mine while the family was not using the network. Did not take long.

No.

- should I silo my TV, home wifi and network, security into different subnets. Yep, administrative nightmare, but just curious.

No. There will be enough crossover between devices as smart networks and smart devices interconnect that you will want them on the same network.

- Can I run Parallel with both devices, while I transition from old to new? Create different SSID and map things across, one by one? when complete, remove the T3200.

Yes. Your hardwired devices should be first, and simplest, as at most, they simply need to be restarted to grab a fresh IP address.

The new hub will be Boost 0 on your network. You will need to reset the mesh. Best to do that after you set up other Wi-Fi devices.

- Optik TV requirements - heard lots of stores. I have one PVR hard wired, and one WiFi unit, however I can hardwire it now if needed

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

While you could, I just set up mine while the family was not using the network. Did not take long.

No.

No. There will be enough crossover between devices as smart networks and smart devices interconnect that you will want them on the same network.

Yes. Your hardwired devices should be first, and simplest, as at most, they simply need to be restarted to grab a fresh IP address.

The new hub will be Boost 0 on your network. You will need to reset the mesh. Best to do that after you set up other Wi-Fi devices.

- Optik TV requirements - heard lots of stores. I have one PVR hard wired, and one WiFi unit, however I can hardwire it now if needed

NFtoBC

xray
Hero

@Curomac wrote:

I see no advantage to doing this. In fact it would make a simple swap harder. If you configure the new router exactly the same as the old one (subnet, SSID and credentials) then all you need to do wait a bit after powering down the old one before powering up the new one. All your wireless devices should just automatically reconnect to the new router seamlessly with no reconfiguration needed.

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks @NFtoBC and @xray for the input. I'm going to tackle this weekend. Will update with the method I went with. Cheers

Curomac
Friendly Neighbour

Well, that was pretty much painless. Worst part of the whole deal is the rewiring I decided to do whilst at it.

Followed the guide as suggested. Connected the LAN side immediately, updated the Hub control panel password, reconfigured Wifi to old values. Got the Wifi App updated. This was frustrating, because its not obvious how to 'add' the new hub. and to remove the T3200. 

Wifi reconnected fine all devices.

All Lan devices reconnected

Optik TV never skipped a beat.

Thanks again everyone.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

And all completed before the weekend even arrived!

NFtoBC