cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFibre Modem - Networking

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour
When the PureFibre Modem is installed by the technician is only one of the LAN ports activated? I have my own internal Ethernet network and would like to use more than one port on the modem to limit the switches
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Yelxop 

Was hoping that plugging directly into another of the LAN ports would keep speed up above 900mb
Ok, I need some clarification here please. If you are indicating that your Wi-Fi speed connection is showing at 100Mbps on a wireless link, this would not be out of the realm of possibilities depending on what protocol it is connecting at.

Most Wi-Fi connection speed will be much slower that a hardwired ethernet connection to say a desktop/laptop computer.

If you are indicating that a wired connection to a desktop/laptop is down around 100mbps speed, then my assumption would be that device has a 10/100 Network interface in the device, and not a 10/100/1,000 or 1Gbps network interface.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Yelxop Wrote: When the PureFibre Modem is installed by the technician is only one of the LAN ports activated?

On an initial install all the ports are active. Only if you choose to have the modem placed in bridged mode would some of the ports be deactivated. This would be utilized if you had your own aftermarket router/firewall and wanted to control the activates on your network without utilizing the Telus equipment.

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour
Ok that is very helpful. I am utilizing my own Google Mesh WiFi Network so if I understand properly then only one port will be active on the Telus router since it is in bridge mode? Does that mean that i can't also run a hardwired network alongside my Google WiFi using the other ports on the router?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It depends if you're talking about the actual router or the ONT. Many people confuse the ONT for a router because it has multiple ports.

Which device do you have?

1) ONT

ONT.jpg

2) Wifi Hub

wifihub (2).jpg

3) NH20A

NH20A.png

4) T3200M

t3200m.png

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk It depends if you're talking about the actual router or the ONT.

Very good point...

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour
Pretty sure this is an ONT

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

In addition to the ONT, which router did Telus provide to you? Telus would have also provided/installed one of the last three devices that I listed. Wifi Hub, NH20A or T3200M.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour

I am not using Telus for my WiFi - I am using Google Mesh so I only have the ONT from Telus.

@Yelxop Wrote; 

Does that mean that i can't also run a hardwired network alongside my Google WiFi using the other ports on the router?

If you were to utilize only the Telus equipment, then as you say in bridge mode then only port 1 LAN would be active. However, your could utilize an aftermarket router/firewall connected to that bridged port and have the aftermarket device act a a router/firewall and a switch if that device had multiple LAN port on it... As well you could add an additional switch to one of the LAN ports to expand your capability.

I'm just not sure what your trying to accomplish here? from what I can see, if you just had the Telus router/firewall set as normal, there is nothing stopping you from utilizing any of the LAN ports to connect anything wired that you would like. i.e. LAN port 1 could go to a computer for example, LAN port 2 could go to a switch for expansion , LAN port 3 could go to your Google Wi-Fi device etc..

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour
Yes what you describe is how I have my network set up now but the speed has degraded on devices beyond the GB speed switch down to below 100gb. Was hoping that plugging directly into another of the LAN ports would keep speed up above 900mb

@Yelxop 

Was hoping that plugging directly into another of the LAN ports would keep speed up above 900mb
Ok, I need some clarification here please. If you are indicating that your Wi-Fi speed connection is showing at 100Mbps on a wireless link, this would not be out of the realm of possibilities depending on what protocol it is connecting at.

Most Wi-Fi connection speed will be much slower that a hardwired ethernet connection to say a desktop/laptop computer.

If you are indicating that a wired connection to a desktop/laptop is down around 100mbps speed, then my assumption would be that device has a 10/100 Network interface in the device, and not a 10/100/1,000 or 1Gbps network interface.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Additionally if OP is using mesh networking, the speeds will absolutely drop due to the very way that mesh networking operates.  Some users have also found that using third party routers with fibre can result in slower wired speeds. No idea why but there are a few past discussions on the forums here about it.

Yelxop
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the reply - my Wifi speeds on the Google Mesh are lightning fast.  It is the wired connections that are downstream from the Google Mesh (from the Ethernet passthrough port) that are below 100 Mbps even though I have upgraded all the switches to be 1 Gbps.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the wireless speeds are fast but the wired are slow, have Cat6 ethernet cables, you've replaced the switches with gigabit, and factory reset all mesh devices, that would be a problem with the Google Mesh then. A quick Google search shows that other users have the same issue with Google Nest / Nest Wifi Pro Mesh. That would be beyond anything Telus could provide support for. You may want to ask on the Google Nest Community forums.

Normally if you had one of the Telus provided routers there, I would have suggested connecting it to the ONT and then the Nest Mesh to one of the LAN ports and re-try the ethernet speeds after rebooting all of the mesh access points. Some Nest Mesh users found that solved their issues.