cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFibre Gigabit Internet Pre Sales Questions…

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good day everyone, I have a few questions that I hope the community will be able to answer before I have to commit to an installation of new service.

Installation will be in a 8 story condo building. The retrofit for the building is scheduled for as soon after the Covid-19 shutdown as possible.

Questions’ in the order as outlined…

1. When the drop is installed in the unit, are we able to direct the installer the desired location for the endpoint, and equipment?
  2. Are the current TELUS devices a combination ONT/Modem/Router of separate devices?
  3. Does TELUS offer multiple IP addresses
  4. If indeed they do offer more that 1 IP address, is there additional cost for that second IP per month?
  5. I then surmise that if multi IP’s are offered, the TELUS equipment must be able to be put in “Bridge Mode” Technician configuration of customer definable configuration?

Thanks so much in advance to your answers… Cheers…

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

1. When the drop is installed in the unit, are we able to direct the installer the desired location for the endpoint, and equipment?
    1. This will likely not be a Telus installer, but one hired as part of th build by the Condo Assn.
  2. Are the current TELUS devices a combination ONT/Modem/Router of separate devices?
    1. Either or both. The most recent hardware is a single device, but the use of it may depend on if there is a telephone cabinet in the Condo unit. If not, likely a single device will be used.
    1. Residential connections have 2 IP addresses. The usual means to obtain 2 IP addresses is to place a switch between the ONT and the routers.
  4. If indeed they do offer more that 1 IP address, is there additional cost for that second IP per month?
    1. No additional fee for up to 2 IP addresses.
  5. I then surmise that if multi IP’s are offered, the TELUS equipment must be able to be put in “Bridge Mode” Technician configuration of customer definable configuration?
    1. See 3.1 above. The Telus router is user configurable to Bridge LAN Port 1

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

1. This will likely not be a Telus installer, but one hired as part of th build by the Condo Assn.
    1. Either or both. The most recent hardware is a single device, but the use of it may depend on if there is a telephone cabinet in the Condo unit. If not, likely a single device will be used.
    1. Residential connections have 2 IP addresses. The usual means to obtain 2 IP addresses is to place a switch between the ONT and the routers.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you so very much for the concise answers:

1. This will likely not be a Telus installer, but one hired as part of the build by the Condo Assn.

Perfect, That make the customization in the unit easy...

1. Are the current TELUS devices a combination ONT/Modem/Router of separate devices?

Nope, no phone cabinet in the unit, so I guess we'll be looking at an all in one then..

1. Does TELUS offer multiple IP addresses
  2. If indeed they do offer more that 1 IP address, is there additional cost for that second IP per month?

Perfect... Got it...

1. I then surmise that if multi IP’s are offered, the TELUS equipment must be able to be put in “Bridge Mode” Technician configuration or customer definable configuration?

Again, thank you... another switch on order to facilitate the second IP configuration....

Look like this will be a go... Saying goodbye to that cable internet provider... Cheers...

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For 1. I am on a condo association and we talked to Telus about getting fibre in our building not long ago. Telus typically will wire up the entire building with fibre first before running it in to the units. In our building the fibre will be run in the halls with a junction box above the front door of each unit. When fibre is ready to be installed, Telus prefers to do a big install blitz and do the whole building (or as many customers that want fibre) all in one or two days. The installers will be contracted by Telus in our case. The fibre will be punched through the wall where the junction box is and then run into the unit. From there it'll depend on the layout of the unit and the installer as to where it'll end up terminating.

I can't find the name of the type of fibre they'll use but this video is basically how they'll be running it in my building.

I'd recommend checking with your condo board. They may be able to clarify if the installers will be there on their behalf or Telus'. 🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂