cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase a second WAN IP for a device using T3200M Port1 in Bridge Mode?

howard2010
Neighbour

Hello:

It appears that if port 1 is put in 'bridge mode', devices using port 1 acquire (or try to) a second IP on the WAN.

Can you purchase a second IP on the WAN for this (dynamic or static)?

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Typically most connections have allowed two dynamic IPs in the past. If you have a device that has tried to grab too many IPs though, that would be where you'd run into trouble.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hi Nighthawk: It's strange. I have a T3200M with 3 Optik set top boxes (PVR + 2 regular set top box) directly attached and on their own subnet. Also had a Bitdefender Box 2 (firewall / router) attached to port 1 which was in bridge mode. TELUS claimed too many IP's being used.

Bitdefender tech support advised the Bitdefender Box 2 only acquires 1 IP. That should only be 2 - dynamic- IP's: one for the T3200M and one for the Bitdefender Box or am I missing something? Internet and Optik TV boxes all went offline and the Nokia G-240G-A Optical Network Terminal (ONT) 'FAIL' led was on.

Right now I have bridge mode disabled ant the Bitdefender Box in a DMZ (only device there). Internet and Optik TV boxes all went offline briefly this morning and 'FAIL' led on on ONT; after ok for several days.

Sent from Samsung tablet
Sent from Samsung tablet
Sent from Samsung tablet

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is the BitDefender box physically connected correctly? If you have the cable in the wrong port on the box, it will be allowing devices to directly connect out to the internet, or at least be trying. 

What I would have done is simply put a gigabit switch on the ONT with the T3200M on one port, default settings, no messing with DMZ or bridge mode. Then put the BitDefender box on another port on the switch and skip most of the garbage involved in their setup procedure. I stopped using BitDefender a long time ago after experiencing way too many problems with their software.

The ONT going into FAIL may be related or may be totally unrelated. I don't know. Telus' techs would know way more since they work for Telus and have access to the tools and hardware. There is also the possibility the BitDefender box is malfunctioning as well and is causing issues.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂