Nokia G- 240-G-A

Say
Friendly Neighbour
How do I turn on data port 2 on the Nokia G240GA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only option to run another connection from where the ONT is located would be to install a gigabit switch beside it. You'd then connect the switch to port 1 on the ONT and then the existing cable to the router would connect to the switch. You could then connect the 100ft ethernet cable to another port on that switch and run it to the radios. The only problem with this setup is that the radios will NOT be part of your home network since they aren't connected to your router and you may need another router or something to act as a firewall between the radios and the switch. If there is more than one device where the radios are that you want to connect, adding a router would probably be the best option.

Are you planning on using an outdoor rated ethernet cable to run to the the other building? A standard indoor ethernet cable is not recommended for use outside. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can't. Only port 1 is enabled on residential installs. What are you trying to do that requires more ports?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Say
Friendly Neighbour
I am running a 100ft ethernet cable to another building. I would normally just plug it into a port on the router/wifi but that involves drilling thru floors and walls. The ONT is much easier to get at and I figured it would save a lot of mess and work.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is that for a residence or a business? Are you trying to have the line running to the other building on the same network as your existing install?

Say
Friendly Neighbour
Yes a home network and wifi will not work! I use wifi to connect my computer but my Ham radios need to be wired directly to the LAN. Hence the reason for all of this. The manufacturer says the is no way around it using wifi, and they have tried.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only option to run another connection from where the ONT is located would be to install a gigabit switch beside it. You'd then connect the switch to port 1 on the ONT and then the existing cable to the router would connect to the switch. You could then connect the 100ft ethernet cable to another port on that switch and run it to the radios. The only problem with this setup is that the radios will NOT be part of your home network since they aren't connected to your router and you may need another router or something to act as a firewall between the radios and the switch. If there is more than one device where the radios are that you want to connect, adding a router would probably be the best option.

Are you planning on using an outdoor rated ethernet cable to run to the the other building? A standard indoor ethernet cable is not recommended for use outside. 

Say
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks for your suggestion Nighthawk. That was the route that I was going to take if I couldn't get the second port turned on. Fortunately the radio doesn't need to talk to the local system just the internet for remote operation and updates.

Cheers
Say

Say
Friendly Neighbour
Port 2 is available to me if I want to pay Telus another subscription fee. NOT!
I have installed a switch at the ONT and have another switch for my radios and computer. Seems to work very well.