cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Gigabit to DSL 75!?

zzip7
Neighbour
I am moving a few blocks from my current location into a different complex, and unfortunately the place I'm moving to does not have the gigabit fibre service. I was told by the call centre that all I can get is DSL 75 although if I look up my new address on the Telus site it does show DSL 150 as an option.

Is there anything I could ask the technician who is coming to do the install about this? Has anyone else ever seen a big difference between what the Telus site says is available for an address and what the call centre says?
3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The installer coming out for your DSL install will most likely be a DSL tech who may not have a lot of details about fibre.

If you're in a complex, which I'm assuming is either an apartment/condo/townhouse/etc. complex, and fibre is available all around it but not in the complex itself, it's up to the owners of the complex or the condo board / strata to request that fibre run to the property. Telus does that for free. The website for MDUs to get more info and start the fibre process is here. The form it links to for the complex owner / strata to fill out is here. It's not a fast process, especially with winter coming, but if the complex owner / strata fill in that form, they can get the ball rolling.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for the quick response, and yes it is a very large strata townhouse complex (close to 300 units) completely surrounded by Telus fibre in the area. I do intend to make this request with the Strata, but it will likely take a long time to get done.

My question was more about the DSL75 vs DSL150 issue. Given that the Telus website shows DSL150 is available for the address it seemed strange that the call centre was not able to sign me up for that service. I was wondering if the DSL tech who comes out is likely to have any knowledge or ability to look at that. I talked to multiple people at the call centre who all initially told me I could get DSL150 but then when booking the tech appointment told me it would be for DSL75 and they couldn't provision the DSL150 but did not have a reason for it.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It may depend on the total number of ports available in the area. Since DSL isn't getting new hardware installed in the neighborhoods, the lack of ports is typically the reason. It also depends on whether or not you can get the full 75mbps from a single phone line. If yes, then a second phone line will be needed for 150. The call center doesn't always have perfect info and it may only allow them to provision 75 right now. The DSL installer may be able to shed some light on whether or not 150 may be  physically possible there. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂