Looking for help for setting up a gt784wn modem

Friendly Neighbour

I bought this modem and thought it would work as my Telus modem/router and I doesn’t work but is way I can this router
13 REPLIES 13
Friendly Neighbour

I bought this modem and thought it would work as my Telus modem/router and I doesn’t work but is way I can this router
Community Power User

Re: Looking for help for setting up a gt784wn modem

Do you currently have Telus services? Telus always supplies a modem/router with your service.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Friendly Neighbour

Yes but I bought to see if would be better for gaming and I totally bought the wrong one I guess
Community Power User

The GT784WN is seriously inferior when compared to the Telus provided modem/gateway.

• The GT784WN is only an ADSL2+ modem (max speed 24mbps). Telus uses VDSL2+ now for copper based connections which is far, far faster. It's one reason why it won't work as a modem.
  • The GT784WN only has 100mbit ethernet ports on it. That's a downgrade from the gigabit ethernet ports on Telus' T3200M.
  • The GT784WN only has 802.11 b/g/n wireless support. That's a downgrade from the 802.11 b/g/n/ac on Telus' T3200M.
  • The GT784WN does not have a LAN port so it can NOT be used as a router.

You're better off either using Telus T3200M instead. I use the T3200M when gaming online and I haven't noticed any issues. 

Finding third party modems that will actually work with Telus' specific VDSL2+ implementation is extremely difficult. If you're on fibre optic, that will open up other options.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Friendly Neighbour

Ahh ok well out in the middle nowhere I feel like the connection slow I shoot people and the don’t died and I died two bullet but on the killcam it shows that the other player 3x faster then my connection the player Vs player battles are really unfair i like old actiontecs where simpler
Friendly Neighbour

Can I use my Netgear router as a VPN on the t3200m some how to mask my ip
Community Power User

There are several ways to mask an IP but none of them I've tried will result in better game performance. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Friendly Neighbour

Ok how can I do that I won’t worry about the connection I just wanna keep on playing instead of losing my internet for several hours from other people online
Community Power User

Why would you lose your internet for several hours from other people online?

Is your home internet or wifi connection unstable, or are getting kicked/banned from game servers?

Community Power User

As @Nighthawk stated why are you losing connection for several hours? If you’re losing the entire internet connection to ALL devices. You should call TELUS and schedule a service call.

On a side note what internet package do you currently have along with the TELUS supplied modem.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Friendly Neighbour

I don’t need a service call I lost internet cause they can find my ip and use a ip booter to flood my modem so I won’t be able to connect for several hours and I don’t wanna wait every time I get hit off the internet
Community Power User

So you're intermittently getting DDOSed? A VPN or anything else won't help at all for that. Your modem will still have the same IP. Depending on the gaming service being used, a VPN may not be enough to hide your IP completely either. You may want to try find some less toxic servers to game on.

All-Star

Seriously? People go to the trouble of invoking a DoS attack just to win a game? Wow. Their lives must be pretty empty.

Community Power User

@xray I doubt that’s what is going on here. Especially if on Xbox or PlayStation servers. Steam it’s highly unlikely as well.