cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Range WI-FI on 5G modem is no where near what my DSL modem had.

Heretic
Organizer

I have a Telus Smart Hub (model ZTE MC8010CA) set to "Long Range" in the WI-FI settings.

Why did my old DSL modem have a longer range?

I'm on 2.5 acres and my old modem used to reach almost the entire property.
This 5G one, seems to go only about 200 feet or so.
Normal or is there a hardware issue?

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The DSL modem likely had a much larger and stronger antenna than the cellular smart hub does. The cellular hub also supports fewer devices than the DSL modems. The number of antennae can also be a factor as would the frequency being used.

Wifi was never really designed to cover 2.5acres on standard residential gear so it's surprising the DSL modem you had mostly could cover that distance from indoors. Standard wifi has a range of maybe 20m / 66ft for average indoor access points, or less depending on environmental factors. Which DSL modem did you have? For me I have the T3200M and there's no way the wifi from that would cover 2.5 acres. I wouldn't get signal at even 100ft also unless I was direct line of sight to the modem. My non-Telus router with external antennae is no better.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Heretic
Organizer

T3200M, WI-FI would work down to my barn, the smart hub doesn't.  Granted, I had it in my corner window of my house, same as the smart hub now.  So yes, I can see my barn from my window, line of site.   Would an extender help?  We also have a trailer that sometimes when we have guests, they could connect to wi-fi - but can't now (it's closer than the barn).

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you still have the T3200? If yes, you can connect the smart hub's LAN port to the WAN / Internet port on the T3200. Should work as long as the smart hub isn't using 192.168.1.x as the default IP range.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Heretic
Organizer

Screenshot 2023-09-09 231442.png

Odd that the 2.4 band has a higher strength then the 5G?  

Alith
Organizer

Can someone tell me what wifi long range really means in MC8010CA? My new PC has wifi 6 capability. I'm pretty sure this modem does not. What does it have?