cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed tests are fine, but internet is very laggy while gaming/streaming

mikeplowright
Friendly Neighbour

I have 750/750 fibre internet with a T3200m modem. I run speed tests often and use an ethernet cable that is CAT6. My speeds usually show around 350/350 which  isn't 750 but is fine. My issue though is that when I am either gaming or streaming, the internet goes through massive lag spikes every ~minute or so and the connection does not seem consistent/strong enough for me to stream. Anything that needs a consistent connection is very poor UNLESS I use a VPN - in which case things stabilize, but then I have a higher MS time which is a natural result of using a VPN. My OptikTV also has a very hard time loading the on-demand menu even though the router is located a mere ~30 ft from the Optik box.

I spoke to tech support and the guy basically suggested I either get a static IP (not sure how to do that) which is basically the same idea as my VPN but would be more stable or he says I could get a third party router and bridge it and then use that.

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus does not offer static IP to residential internet services. In fact, they don’t guarantee permanent IP to their business clients, just long-term DHCP.

Your assigned IP address could stay the same for months, so your issue should not be the fluidity of an IP address.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I have business internet.