cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly drops

BL1
Just Moved In
We have telus fiber and it constantly drops. We can see the lights on our modem go orange while it resets and they turn green again. This is happening at least once an hour, and is very noticeable as we are working from home so our video calls never make it through a full meeting.

We have the Actiontec t3200m modem.

Any help would be very appreciated! Long wait times for customer support has meant we haven’t been able to get ahold of anyone.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre with an ONT, the T3200 is not a modem. It's a router. If you do replace the T3200, you would need to plug your router in to the exact same port on the ONT as only one is usable.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

BL1
Just Moved In

Adding to this - we only have internet, no TV - I was hoping we could do away with the modem altogether and use our own 3rd party router. We have a TP-Link Archer AX20 AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 router. 

Is it as simple as plugging it into our ONT with an ethernet cable and doing away with the T3200M? I haven't looked at the ONT box but I assume there is a specific port we'd need to use? 

One issue we may have is that this is in our laundry room in the basement, and although our townhouse is small, there are two floors up from there where we need wifi connectivity.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!! 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre with an ONT, the T3200 is not a modem. It's a router. If you do replace the T3200, you would need to plug your router in to the exact same port on the ONT as only one is usable.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hey nighthawk is there anyway to contact you or via email as there is no direct message on here. Having quite a bit of issues with my fibre network. Am able to pay you for your time aswell. Thanks!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I am not a Telus employee. I am just a Telus customer like the majority of other users on the forums here. I don't have access to any of the tools the actual tech support employees have access to in order to diagnose connection issues. I would recommend contacting Telus directly.

Thanks Nighthawk and I know your not but your are very knowledgeable. I made a post with a few more details about my situation if you get a chance take a look, open to any recommendations.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Extremely-low-speeds-on-fibre-ethernet-connection-nee...

Have a great weekend!

xray
Hero

Check the uptime on the status page of the router. Is it rebooting or just reaquiring the WAN IP? Rebooting would reset the uptime counter.

If the router is indeed rebooting frequently then you either have a faulty router or there could be a problem with the power/power supply.