cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Plans speed Vs Actual

FrusUser
Neighbour

Do people get the speed they pay for ? I upgraded to the 150Mbps plan and only get 65Mbps. The modem shows it is getting 135Mbps. Ok, I should get and would be happy with 125. Not 65!!!

others face such issues ? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have a device connect to my router by Ethernet that monitors my Internet speed. This is the report from last month:

Package: 75 Mbps

Min: 72.4 Mbps

Max: 83.3 Mbps

Avg: 82 Mbps

So I'm actually getting more than I pay for. 🙂

A speed test measures the slowest part of the links between the device doing the measuring and the server it's connected to. If the slowest part is the WiFi link between the device and the router then that's what it will measure. The WiFi link speed depends on many factors including the hardware capabilities of both the device and the router.

Here is some info on this topic from this link:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

• 802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
  • 802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
  • 802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
  • 802.11ac - 100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (300+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

xray
Hero
How are you measuring 65 Mbps? What device? How is it connected?

RonAKA
Rockstar

I pay for 75 and get 74.3 with an ethernet connection, ping 4, upload of 21. It is less with a WiFi connected laptop. 

I have a device connect to my router by Ethernet that monitors my Internet speed. This is the report from last month:

Package: 75 Mbps

Min: 72.4 Mbps

Max: 83.3 Mbps

Avg: 82 Mbps

So I'm actually getting more than I pay for. 🙂

A speed test measures the slowest part of the links between the device doing the measuring and the server it's connected to. If the slowest part is the WiFi link between the device and the router then that's what it will measure. The WiFi link speed depends on many factors including the hardware capabilities of both the device and the router.

Here is some info on this topic from this link:

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

• 802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
  • 802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
  • 802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
  • 802.11ac - 100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (300+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

I’m on internet 100/20. Using the my wifi app I get 89/35. Wireless on my iPad I got 87/32.

Thanks all and for detailed information xray. To everyone’s points yeah plan speed only on wired connection . What was interesting for me was that a lower 100 vs 150 plan have me a more stable connection to Wi-Fi averaging 85- 110. The Telus tech recommended that apparently the 150 on 5G was struggling lesson being stable speed better than faster plan.