cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing fibre lines

Pam-MB
Advocate

When they come to install the new fibre to your home,do they need access to all phone outlets in your house?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only time they'll need access would be if you have a landline. They'll need to connect the fibre terminal to the phone lines in one location closest to the terminal and depending on how your other phone jacks are wired, there is a small chance they may need to update one or more jacks so they all work properly. Other than that they usually won't need to do much if anything to them other than disconnect the outside copper phone line to the house.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

No, they only need to access the room where your existing phone lines come into the house, usually in the mechanical room.

I have been informed by Telus that they need access to all phone outlets in the house.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The only time they'll need access would be if you have a landline. They'll need to connect the fibre terminal to the phone lines in one location closest to the terminal and depending on how your other phone jacks are wired, there is a small chance they may need to update one or more jacks so they all work properly. Other than that they usually won't need to do much if anything to them other than disconnect the outside copper phone line to the house.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

My house is 50 years old,so I imagine they will have to update the outlets.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They won't need to update the outlets. As long as they have the standard RJ11 plug on them and they currently are working, that's all that is needed. A 50 year old house typically should have the old two pair phone lines wired in when the house was built so if one pair is bad, switching to the other at the jack is possible. If your phone jacks work currently when on copper landline service then you should be fine. Ignore what the sales people tell you the installer will "need" to do inside your home because not every house has the same set up / wiring / etc. inside. The installer will be there and they can explain to you exactly what they'll be doing. After install, just check that all the jacks that were working before and see if they still are.

If you don't have a landline, they aren't going to touch the jacks at all. The installer may only disconnect the copper phone service where it reaches the house.

arnoldcg
Friendly Neighbour

When my line was changed over the tech didn't bother to tell me that the answering machine built into the phone would stop working. You might want to check that as we missed a number of important messages.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Our phone-based answering machine still works on derived voice (fibre).

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"