cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed wifi booster, but what do i do with old wifi id

amolbak
Just Moved In

I installed the wifi booster, but it appears I have two wifi networks to select from (my old and new).  Is this correct?  Do I need to connect the two networks or delete the old or do I just chose from the strongest network?

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Whichever you prefer. When I attached my boost I left the old wireless networks as-is on my Telus router. I have some devices close to it that are fine. I did connect a number of other devices to the Boost but I didn't delete the old network settings. For me the devices typically just connect to the Boost instead of the original network. If for whatever reason the Boost isn't working, they'll just reconnect to the original network as a backup.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you that's helpful 🙂

kamak
Ambassador

I assume you mean the second/new WiFi SSID, not network. Isn't it all on one LAN/network? Isn't the Booster just a WiFi extender or AP? ie All your devices can see each other even if they are on separated WiFi SSIDs.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Boost is it's own AP with separate SSIDs from the T3200. It still uses the Telus router for DHCP. The Boost units are in theory supposed to be an extender if used with the Telus Wifi Hub.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Right, so for example a Google nest on SSID#1 broadcasting from said T3200M would be seen by a device on SSID#2 broadcasting from the booster, even if the booster is in AP mode, and whether or not they are on different bands 2.4 and 5G. I also interpreted the OPs comment as the Booster has two broadcasting bands, 2.4G and 5G? just like the T3200? Unless Smart Steering is active? Even with separated bands, they can still see eachother on the same network. Unless Isolation is activated.