cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Internet Charges

TELUSanother
Friendly Neighbour

Despite the challenges of the late summer downing of the Webmail service, TELUS reacted with a minimum of a one-month rebate on Internet charges to those affected. Must have cost their profit line a fortune. I remember saying to myself at the time: "I wonder how they'll make up for this sizeable cost expenditure?!" It sure didn't take long. Barely three months later, the answer was provided - notification to all of us in our latest Bill that there will be a $5.00 per month increase in Internet charges as of December 1st. Really? I am not an anti-TELUS subscriber - I think, overall, they do a good job in rectifying sporadic deficiencies in their services - that's my experience. But was this really necessary? Give with one hand and take back with another. Disappointing, to say the least.

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The rate change was posted here several weeks ago > https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/5-price-increase/td-p/101145

Price increases are a more or less yearly thing for telecom companies. Telus and Shaw. Shaw's increasing their rates January 1st.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

If a Telus customer is under a two year contract (expiring July of 2021), for TV, Internet and home phone, is Telus able to raise the cost of my internet?  I just assumed that the quoted price I received at the time of entering into the contract, that my price would remain the same for the duration of the contract, for all 3 services.  I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks very much!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Technically yes they can as I don't believe Telus has the prices locked in for the term of the contract. Now if you speak very nicely to someone in Loyalty you could get some form of additional credit to offset the change.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

You should get your contract price for the full 24 month term and only return to "regular price" after it ends.

"Regular price, applies after the 24-month term. Regular price is subject to change after the 24 month term. "

You should keep an eye on it still as the third paragraph does state...

Offer subject to change without notice. TELUS reserves the right to modify regular pricing without notice. 

I don't think they can change the contract once signed but just the offer.  Also you never know what "regular price" will be at the end of 24 months as it can change "without notice"

DGB
Friendly Neighbour

When signing a two year contract one would assume that service prices quoted in the contract are binding for the duration of the contract.  However this seems not to be the case.  If contracts are so flexible could also it be assumed that a customer can also vary payment accordingly, without service disruption?  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@DGB ,

Likely not! 😇

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Same here. Called to inquire about it as I was suprised to see a $5 increase in my internet services. The first customer service rep I spoke with was very nice and said she'll forward me to loyalty and said to inquire and request for price tag of no increase since I signed in for a two year contract. Second person I spoke with, John, was being very abrupt and rude in speaking with me. I did get a $5 off for a duration of 6months though but it was a very awful experience.

Hey guys

FYI:

Anyone who was impacted by the email outage has an auto 5$ discount on their bill to offset the increase. 🙂

Shapelyshopper
Just Moved In
In my contract, I was promised certain discounts over the 2 years not a fixed rate. However what I take umbrage with is the amount of the hike. It is over 7% and well above cost of living. In other words, greedy.