cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub to Boost connection is unreliable when using MoCA

bmaddison
Just Moved In

Hello. I have a NH20T hub (firmware 20.3.i.0485.15) and I’m trying to use the MoCA port to connect to a Boost 6 (B20A Boost2.0-9464, hardware ver. R01, Firmware 1.21.02 build02). The hub is set to have port 1 bridged. 

The Boost works reliably when connected via a ethernet cable (port 4 on the hub to the 2.5G port on the Boost). But if using the MoCA ports the boost with periodically crash. When that happens the Wi-Fi goes down, and the LED will flash orange. After a minute the Boost will come back and work well for 10 minutes, and then it crashes again and the cycle repeats.

The coax cable is of good quality and only around 6m in length. The hub is connected directly to the Boost with no splitters or joiners between. The Hub’s MoCA statistics page shows the connection being full speed, and there are no Rx Errored or Missed packets.

The way the Boost crashes suggests a firmware issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bmaddison
Just Moved In

Follow up. I moved the Boost back to where I could be connected via ethernet, and it's been reliable.

A couple of days ago visited a friend to help him upgrade to 1G Telus fibre. That setup used the Technicolor version of the Boost (B20T), and the Telus tech used coax to connect the Hub and Boost. I did not touch or change the settings of the Telus equipment, I was just there to get their devices signed back onto the network.

Well, they had exactly the same problem as I did (though the cycle was even shorter). Every few minutes the Boost would seemingly crash, and the Wi-Fi connection was lost. I stress that I did not touch any of the Telus equipment or adjust any settings after the tech left. Is this actually the normal situation for people with a MoCA connected Boost? Having Wi-Fi that is briefly down every few minutes?

Thankfully, my friends house is new enough that many of the rooms have ethernet preinstalled. So before I left I connected the Boost using ethernet cable, and it's been very reliable so far.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JoeHikA
Just Moved In

• 1. Update Firmware:

• Make sure both your NH20T hub and Boost 6 have the latest firmware versions available. Updating firmware sometimes fixes stability issues like this. Check the manufacturer's websites for the latest versions and update instructions.

2. Eliminate Physical Issues:

• Replace the coax cable, even if it appears good, as short lengths can still be faulty. Use a high-quality, shielded coax cable specifically designed for MoCA.
    • Eliminate any splitters or joiners from the connection.

3. Consider Interference:

• MoCA uses the same frequency range as cable TV. If you have cable TV service connected to the same coax network, consider using a MoCA filter on the Boost's coax connection to isolate it from cable TV interference.

bmaddison
Just Moved In

Follow up. I moved the Boost back to where I could be connected via ethernet, and it's been reliable.

A couple of days ago visited a friend to help him upgrade to 1G Telus fibre. That setup used the Technicolor version of the Boost (B20T), and the Telus tech used coax to connect the Hub and Boost. I did not touch or change the settings of the Telus equipment, I was just there to get their devices signed back onto the network.

Well, they had exactly the same problem as I did (though the cycle was even shorter). Every few minutes the Boost would seemingly crash, and the Wi-Fi connection was lost. I stress that I did not touch any of the Telus equipment or adjust any settings after the tech left. Is this actually the normal situation for people with a MoCA connected Boost? Having Wi-Fi that is briefly down every few minutes?

Thankfully, my friends house is new enough that many of the rooms have ethernet preinstalled. So before I left I connected the Boost using ethernet cable, and it's been very reliable so far.