cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set Second T1200M Router to create second WiFi channel network

tma
Organizer

Greetings,

I wish to feed a second T1200M from an Ethernet port fed by the primary T1200M modem to create a second WiFi network on a separate WiFi channel. The primary T1200M is in the basement and I wish to have an alternate WiFi network access point on the second floor. 

I hoped it would just be a matter of feeding the second T1200M Ethernet WAN port. Although the Internet indicator lights up normally it is not extended to either the Ethernet ports nor the WiFi. It appears the Internet access for the ports is locked to the ADSL modem output. 

Does anyone here know if there are settings available in the T1200M to switch the Internet feed source from the ADSL modem output to the Ethernet WAN port?

Thanks in advance for any help!

tma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The solution I finally found was to purchase an inexpensive TP-Link TL-WR841N router which is specifically designed to support the provision of an additional WiFi access point when linked to an Ethernet RJ45 LAN interface. The Actiontec does not appear to support this function without a firmware work around hack.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your situation seems perfect for Telus Boost Wi-Fi mesh.

With your existing router, try using a LAN port, and make sure DHCP is turned off in settings.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks for your reply! There isn't a need for a complex mesh network
here as a second 2.4GHz access point provided by an older router has
worked just fine for us for years. However our older routers need to be
upgraded to take advantage of the fiber network speed which is now being
becoming available in this area. I wish to obtain a modern-day, gigabit
rated, router that is known to work well for providing a second SSID
access point when connected to a wired Ethernet LAN.

I cannot find an option for disabling the DHCP function within the
T3200M router settings menu tree. The only DHCP setting I have found is
for DHCP lease time (which cannot be set to zero). Please advise how to
access the DHCP disable option.

The T3200M port bridging option works for the RJ45 ports but does not
extend Internet access to WiFi. I now wonder if the use of this modem
for WiFi access point extension is a capability that has been dropped?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The solution I finally found was to purchase an inexpensive TP-Link TL-WR841N router which is specifically designed to support the provision of an additional WiFi access point when linked to an Ethernet RJ45 LAN interface. The Actiontec does not appear to support this function without a firmware work around hack.

Ya no the old 1200 is still a modem/router, it doesn't do 5g anyways so your speed would b limited to 2.4g 50/60M. You need either just the router that u purchased or their V1 boosters that can do 5 g. You would still want both of the V1's to be hardwired for optimal speed.

tma
Organizer

2.4G speed is more than fast enough for my WiFi application and the TL-WR841N is a good economical and power consumption efficient choice for me. It will be 100Mbit, RJ45 hard wired to a Gbit LAN port.