cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my PC on same network as my extra router?

Ray604
Organizer

I have the ONT device and ActionTec T3200M in my corner office, my PC is ethernet connected to the Actiontec.  Disabled WiFi on the ActionTec, ip default at 192.168.1.254

My Asus AC3100 is connected via ethernet to the MOCA adapter (split with the Telus optik DVR) in the living room for better wifi coverage.  My media PC is hooked up via ethernet to the Asus.  I would like to use the Asus router for DHCP so I set it to static WAN IP 192.168.1.253 but the router IP is at 192.168.2.111 and of course dhcp range is set to 192.168.2.112 +

Problem with this setup is that my PC in corner office can't see the other devices hooked up via ethernet of the Asus, as they are on different .2 vs .1

Does anyone have some suggestions how to make this work?  I really dislike using my Asus as a simple Access Point (previous setup which lets all devices see each other) and want to use the QoS features on it etc. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Devices on two different networks are not supposed to see one another. If you need them to interconnect, you would be better to use the Asus unit as an Access Point, rather than create a separate network.

There are numerous tutorials on this topic on the web, have a look for the one that best explains for your needs.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Devices on two different networks are not supposed to see one another. If you need them to interconnect, you would be better to use the Asus unit as an Access Point, rather than create a separate network.

There are numerous tutorials on this topic on the web, have a look for the one that best explains for your needs.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I don't want them on separate networks though.  Is there no way to utilize the MOCA adapter connection to setup bridging the Actiontec over to my Asus router when they are physically in different rooms?

Basically, in my corner office - ONT and Actiontec, wifi turned off. My desktop computer (only ethernet device) is plugged into the Actiontec.

Living room, coax to MOCA adapter - split to my Optik DVR and my Asus AC3100 router.  Where I have plugged in my media pc via ethernet and then also use the Asus router to provide wifi.  I can use my asus as an Access Point but find there's issues with wifi clients losing internet connectivity even though my asus router wifi is still connected and strong.  Access point was great, shared drive on router shows up to desktop.

Now I tried switching moca to WAN port on the asus router, changed to full router mode and dhcp server - no issues for wifi clients.  However, my desktop in the corner office can't access other computers as they are on different networks.  I was thinking maybe powerline ethernet from my desktop to the asus router in the living room (vs ethernet to the actiontec)

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you bridge the Actiontec then they definitely won't see each other. If you want just the desktop PC to be on the Asus network, then yes powerline ethernet from it directly to the Asus should work. If not, the Asus would have to act as only an access point.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I don't really care about seeing the actiontec, just want to let it handle the Optik TV.  if i have an emergency, i can ethernet cable directly to it to troubleshoot.

Ok, just wanted to see if there was an easier or better solution other than powerline to be on asus network for all of my devices.  It's funny that i can't use the moca coax line.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's not how the MoCA connection works. The MoCA connection is basically a LAN connection from the Actiontec. You're placing another router behind the first so that will limit your options. If you want the desktop PC you have connected to the Actiontec to connect to the Asus you need to find a way to directly connect the two. Either wifi or some form of hardwired connection whether it be ethernet or powerline.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hmm, can I use bridge mode from my Actiontec port1 to another MOCA adapter, hooked up to the coaxial going out to my living room STB and Asus router? 

Will my STB there still be controlled by the Actiontec or it will be forced to run via my Asus router if I try that?

Or would adding a switch between my ONT and Actiontec help?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bridging the Actiontec would serve no benefit either way. You'd still end up with the problem you started with. If you have more than one set top box they may not be able to see each other if one of them is a PVR.

Adding another MoCA adapter into LAN1 would only serve to complicate things even more and you'd still end up with the problem you started with, but with one more piece of hardware in the mix. If you want all your personal devices to be controlled by the Asus, you'll need to find a way to get them all connected to it either wired or wireless.

Adding a switch between the ONT and the Actiontec would only be a benefit if you had your Asus router connected directly to that switch also. It would have it's own external IP and be totally separate from the Actiontec and its network. For my personal home network, if I had fibre, I would choose this configuration.

One thing you definitely won't want is any Optik box to connected to the Asus router. Most routers don't do multicast traffic and you'd likely be unable to watch TV.