cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix incorrect Hostname labeling on telus Actiontek T3200M

PolyTek
Neighbour

I've looked through the forums for answers to this issue, but the information contained in the locked threads is incomplete and incorrect.

My T3200M incorrectly displays the Hostname for my PS3 as "OpticTV".  The PS3 has a distinct device name, and that is not it.  I have changed it multiple times, disconnected and restarted it, as well as made sure it doesn't contain any illegal characters. Additionally, I have never had an OpticTV receiver attached to this router.

Why is this, and how do I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately, that theory isn't valid, but I've figured out what I think the cause is, and how to "fix" it.

I tried a number of IP addresses and all of them still show the PS3 as OpticTV.  I have also moved the physical connection from Port 1 to other ports.  No change. 

Then I noticed that the PS3 is the only device I have on my network with a static IP address.  Setting the PS3 to automatically configure its network settings does NOT set the IP to dynamic, but chooses an appropriate fixed IP.  When configuring the network setting manually, you can tell the PS3 to use DHCP, as well as assign a DHCP Hostname, which is *separate and independent* from the Device Name which is defined in the System Settings.

Voila.  Router shows the newly defined hostname.

It is my theory that for whatever (bad) reason, the Telus router is configured to either a) refer to any fixed IP as OpticTV, or b) refer to any undefined hostname as OpticTV.  I have not tested either of these theories, and I probably won't, as my specific issue is solved. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've got similar issues. Both with the app and on the actual router. I have 3 devices with the same name (only one of them is correct). This has been happening for a while. I have rebooted my router for a few months. Everything seems to be working fine.

I believe that Optik TV has a reserved address of 192.168.1.69 (at least it does on my router).

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Excellent theory/suggestion about the reserved IP address.  I'll look in to the PS3's IP and whether it can be changed or set to dynamic.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that theory isn't valid, but I've figured out what I think the cause is, and how to "fix" it.

I tried a number of IP addresses and all of them still show the PS3 as OpticTV.  I have also moved the physical connection from Port 1 to other ports.  No change. 

Then I noticed that the PS3 is the only device I have on my network with a static IP address.  Setting the PS3 to automatically configure its network settings does NOT set the IP to dynamic, but chooses an appropriate fixed IP.  When configuring the network setting manually, you can tell the PS3 to use DHCP, as well as assign a DHCP Hostname, which is *separate and independent* from the Device Name which is defined in the System Settings.

Voila.  Router shows the newly defined hostname.

It is my theory that for whatever (bad) reason, the Telus router is configured to either a) refer to any fixed IP as OpticTV, or b) refer to any undefined hostname as OpticTV.  I have not tested either of these theories, and I probably won't, as my specific issue is solved.