cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copper to fiber rotary phone issue

MvM
Friendly Neighbour

We live in an old 1914 house with two rotary phones that do no longer work after fibre upgrade. Dial tone is present but phoning to outside line no longer works.

Can we get two of these products from Telus since your marketing tells that nothing will change after fiber upgrade. 

https://oldphoneworks.com/products/rotatone-ext-pulse-to-tone-converter

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MvM
Friendly Neighbour

An update. I phoned Telus Support yesterday evening and talked to a friendly Telus Home Phone rep who escalated the issue to a manager. Talking with the manager he was able to provide me a solution which I was happy with. For the record: Telus does not provide these adapters itself. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you recently had fibre installed the technician should have left you his business card. Reach out and let him know about the issue.

MvM
Friendly Neighbour

Didn't get her business card (fname: Yu).

I would reach out to tech support and have them send out a technician at this point, since your phones should still work I believe. 

MvM
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks. A rotary phone is too slow to phone outside using fiber; the server at Telus expects a faster communication for just the 10 numbers. A rotary phone works without electricity. Good to have one in a blackout! Anyways, I will phone support again to obtain the device mentioned above.

@MvM wrote:
A rotary phone works without electricity.

Unfortunately, now that you have been converted to fibre, this assertion is no longer correct.

The old phones were powered from the central office over the old copper landlines. The fibre line to your house is not powered. The power to your phone is now supplied by the fibre box in your home. If the power goes out .. so will your phone.

Electric companies, Hydro, must be making an absolute killing.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are touch tone phones that will work in a blackout, as long as your ONT has an uninterruptible power supply. If you have a cellphone, it, too, will work in a blackout.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Robert9
Organizer

@MvM , Rotary phones use Pulse Dialing and the technician should've advised you that you would need a new phone set as pulse is not supported on Fibre and Copper is being discontinued. Pulse is an antiquated technology much like party lines and is being phased out. I am not sure if TELUS technician carries any of those converter and calling support to have one is no guarantee as well. It would've been easier if you have the technician's business card to ask the installer directly.

polecat
All-Star

@MvM On phone with telus tech for advice on phone system i think i could use. Was a 20 + year man never heard of the device used by telus. Found one on amz may not work on some tel networks 

MvM
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you all. I will phone the Telus tech department / support. The Telus  marketing letter said that nothing would change. I believe they can not market like this to their customers. 

MvM
Friendly Neighbour

An update. I phoned Telus Support yesterday evening and talked to a friendly Telus Home Phone rep who escalated the issue to a manager. Talking with the manager he was able to provide me a solution which I was happy with. For the record: Telus does not provide these adapters itself.