cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Router to Another Router as a Layer 2/3 Switch (?)

abquestioner
Friendly Neighbour

Hi. Excuse my likely misuse of terminology, it's been a good while since I've gotten any sort of education on Networking and the OSI Model.

I've recently acquired a laptop that does not have any WLAN card. Obviously, that means that it can only work through Ethernet. However, my router is on the ground-level floor of my home, and I am a literal basement dweller. As a result, using the internet with this laptop - which is something I want to do - is a no-go.

I do have an old router, however. I was wondering if it's possible to go into the Router's settings, and make a wireless connection to the current Router/Network that has access to the internet. Then, using this Old Router as an intermediary, I can connect the laptop to this Old Router and gain access to the internet through the Ethernet connection.

Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? And please feel free to ask for any clarification.

Regards.

8 REPLIES 8

abquestioner
Friendly Neighbour

I think a better way to rephrase the question, if I'm not mistaken, is "How to Bridge two routers together over WiFI". I believe that's the correct terminology for what I'd like to do.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's going to depend solely on the second older router. Some are capable of that functionality but not many. It's also going to depend on exactly how old the second router is. There were changes to the WPA encryption in 2017-18 back and many older devices don't get updates. What make and model is the second router? Is it running the stock software from the manufacturer?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It's a Telus Wi-Fi Modem T3200M. Now that I see it's referred to as a "modem", I'm worried this may be in vain. But regardless, it's also running nothing but the stock software. Not even the passwords have been changed.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the T3200 is the first router, that shouldn't be bad. If it's the second router, it won't work for what you are trying to do.

It's exceedingly rare to see a laptop not have wifi capabilities built in. Are you sure it doesn't have wifi but is just missing the drivers for it? If not, as @xray mentioned, you can get a USB wifi adapter fairly inexpensively. If you had a weak signal where the laptop is located, you can get high gain wifi adapters also. (Example)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Does "first router" mean the one with internet access?

Also, I don't have a job. I don't have money. The economy is in shambles and very few employers would like to take risks with youth employees.

DrPacman
Rockstar

@abquestioner Wrote: I've recently acquired a laptop that does not have any WLAN card.

First thing that comes to mind is acquire and install a USB WiFi Adapter for your Pc. There seems to be an entire glut of them for sale for under $30.00 bucks.... That would allow you to connect to the provided WiFi in the house.

An alternative, again roughly the same train of thought would be to install a device similar to the TP-Link AC1750 WiFi Extender. Same principle of connecting to the provided WiFi in the house, however, it also allows for an Ethernet connection, thus allowing you to connect your laptop via RJ45. Again reasonable cost at around $90.00 bucks or so.. the advantage of this solutions, you could install a switch with the TP-Link device and have multiple connections for additional devices if needed...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as "Solution", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

xray
Hero

@abquestioner wrote:

'I've recently acquired a laptop that does not have any WLAN card.

Do you mean WiFi card?

I'm sure the laptop has a USB port. Just buy a USB WiFi adapter for $20 - $30.

rc
Rockstar

I don't think there is any open source software for the actiontec t3200m. Also this router has very few configuration options and cannot be configured as a wifi repeater. You don't find many people having a spare telus t3200m as these are rental units that are returned by the customer when they cancel their service.