cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect ONT and router to patch panel

Binkt
Organizer

Hi

I'm using fibre internet for my home networking. The current setup looks like this:

ONT -> Nokia ONT -> patch panel ----wall----> Telus WiFi Hub -> Google Wifi Router

[ --------- garage ------------]            [----------------living room-----------]

I only use the Google WiFi network.

(I think the Telus WiFi Hub is a modem + router box. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Everything works ok, but I also hope to use the ethernet ports through the house. One option is to relocate the Telus WiFi Hub to the garage to have:

ONT -> Telus router -> ethernet switch -> patch panel.

[-------------------   garage -----------------------]

The only problem is that the Telus router doesn't fit inside the NBN box, so I need to wall mount a small rack next to the NBN box to hold the Telus router and deal with ventilation/dust/moisture problem in the garage (unless the Telus router is less sensitive to these). I think this will work, but it's ugly. Would you recommend other solutions?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could build an enclosure to contain the telecommunication equipment, reducing its exposure to influences from the garage.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could build an enclosure to contain the telecommunication equipment, reducing its exposure to influences from the garage.

NFtoBC

Thanks for the reply! This will work! At the same time, I wonder if it's possible to change either the Telus Wifi Hub or the ONT so everything can stay inside the NBN box and connect to the patch panel directly?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If by ‘change’ you mean ‘move’, the answer is yes.

NFtoBC

I mean by buying a new router to replace the telus wifi hub. For example the TP-Link ER7206

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Many routers other than those supplied by Telus do not work with Optik TV. There are a number of discussions here about attempts to find suitable routers. A search should find many of these threads.

NFtoBC