cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Wi-Fi channels to manual selection on Telus/Modem router

Dwayne888
Coach

Before someone interjects to suggest that we should refrain from manually changing channels and let the router handle it automatically, I want to highlight that this might not always be the best approach.

Particularly in densely populated areas like condos or high-rise buildings, leaving the router on auto mode may result in it only cycling through a limited set of "good channels" on the 2.4 GHz band, such as 1, 6, and 11. However, this practice has been linked to performance issues, particularly on the 5 GHz band.

As such, are Telus modem/routers client settings blocked or set to read only and can't be changed by the customer/user.

And if that's the case, can tech support manually change this setting (and it will stay there)? Currently, I'm a Shaw customer and whilst Shaw tech support can change the setting to manual and to a designated channel. Unlike in the past, the modem firmware resets itself to auto after a few hours.

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have the T3200M from Telus and I can manually specify channels for both frequencies. Same for the Wifi6 Boost AP that Telus provides. In addition to the 2.4GHz channels, the Wifi6 Boost has two different 5GHz options also - 5GHz High (channels over 100) and Low (channels under 100).

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Have you actually made any changes to switch from Auto to Manual?

It's easy to assume it's changeable but with the Shaw/Rogers Tecnhicolor router/modem it's visible but slightly greyed out now so we can't change it. Another Telus user in a post from a few years ago with Fibre wrote he can't. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, they are easily changable. The one user may have had the Wifi Hub, which is a bit of an outlier. It has a few issues. That one is not nearly as frequently used as it used to be for new installs.  The T3200 that I have is an older gateway Telus uses. The Boost Wifi6 AP is part of all new installs. 

I did a quick network scan and I have 66 wifi networks in range currently. The network utility shows that channels 11 for 2.4GHz and channel 100 for 5GHz are the best I can choose based on the nearby networks. I won't bother posting screenshots from the T3200M as they aren't typically used for new installs anymore. I will include the Wifi6 Boost screenshots. The 5GHz low network I left as auto for the channel.

2.4.png5-1.png5-2.png

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I appreciate your efforts!

In my congested area Auto works best for 2.4 GHz. On the other hand since everyone in our condo are also using 5 GHz for streaming and gaming, only channel 157 is optimal. It's the best of the worst. But I get the advertised 500 Mbps on 157 only and exceed it via Ethernet cable.

I also have bandsteering disabled. Only smart devices including WiFi Google mini and a printer/scanner are connected to 2.4 GHz. These devices run only on 2.4 GHz. But I notice a major performance hit immediately with 5 GHz when in Auto. It's stuck on 44.

I might try to get out of my Shaw contract and switch to Telus internet assuming all basic  Fibre modem/routers have unrestricted access to WiFi channels.

Dwayne888
Coach

I was just talking to my provider, Shaw, Tier 2 and they informed me a new firmware update to the XB7 modem in fact will revert within minutes back to Auto when they change it manually. There was no explanation on why Comcast or Rogers, whoever programmed the firmware did this. 

At the same time, while a "scare tactic" and not wanting me to leave Shaw, they said that if the industry "trend" is to restrict customers from changing Wi-Fi channels especially now that Mesh systems are becoming common, Telus may do the same. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There's also nothing stopping you from getting your own third party router also. I've used one with my T3200 before.