cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send email using Outlook

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

I recently switched to the Telus network, and I am very happy with the speed and stability. I have a POP account in my Outlook, and I can receive all emails without trouble. But I noticed that I could not send emails when connected to the Telus network (wired or WIFI). The same thing happens on my Android phone. I can only send emails with my mobile data, not on WIFI. I just phoned the Telus technician, but the representative told me there is nothing wrong on their end. I am very confused, and hopefully, someone can help me solve this issue. It is very inconvenient.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Da-Dai Wrote: I am not using the Telus POP email. The POP and SMTP servers are not with Telus.

That aspect may have been a useful bit of information to help use try to solve this problem...

The first thing I'd try is to ping the SMTP server that your trying to connect too... At least that will let you know if it maybe a firewall problem, or at least point to what to look at next... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Da-Dai Wrote: I have a POP account in my Outlook.

Attached to this is the link to Telus's POP email configuration including POP settings. This may point out if a configuration setting may have been incorrectly configured.

Personally, unless you have a specific reason for utilizing a POP config, I would perhaps look at migrating to a IMAP configuration as most providers will be upgrading their email servers to support stricter security protocols.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/business/support/article/telus-email-as-alternative-application

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

I am not using the Telus POP email. The POP and SMTP servers are not with Telus. My outlook can send emails if I unplug my internet cable and connect to the hotspot from my cellular data.

@Da-Dai Wrote: I am not using the Telus POP email. The POP and SMTP servers are not with Telus.

That aspect may have been a useful bit of information to help use try to solve this problem...

The first thing I'd try is to ping the SMTP server that your trying to connect too... At least that will let you know if it maybe a firewall problem, or at least point to what to look at next... Cheers...

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for your reply. I used command prompt to ping the server (both POP and SMTP use the same server), and it worked. I assume this tells me that my firewall is not blocking the server? I use McAfee for antivirus, and I enabled the SMTP server (Port 25) in my Firewall setting. Please help me look into the issue. Thank you.

@Da-Dai Wrote: I used command prompt to ping the server (both POP and SMTP use the same server), and it worked. 

Ok, that is helpful... I would look at the specific configuration information for the Email service you are trying to connect too... that info should be readily available from them

Things like specific port, and security protocols are what I would confirm first. This is likely where the problem lies. My guess is your email service utilizes Port 465 on SSL, or perhaps 587 on TLS/STARTTLS configuration. Have a look at those as a possible misconfiguration. Cheers..

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for your quick response. The email server does not use any security protocols (no SSL/TLS or others). It just uses Port 25...

@Da-Dai Wrote: he email server does not use any security protocols (no SSL/TLS or others).

Ok, as an experiment, I would try to create a new instance of your configuration under outlook.

However, this time trying  the IMAP protocols to see if that works.

This is very strange that this seems to be happening. If you are on a Windows machine you could create that new account with Windows mail to see if it works. Cheers...

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, I have not yet added another account on Outlook. Instead, I was trying on Command prompt with "telnet sub5.mail.dreamhost.com 25," and it tells me the connection failed. I am wondering if this is because Telus is blocking the port to reduce outgoing spams?

@Da-Dai Wrote: I am wondering if this is because Telus is blocking the port to reduce outgoing spams?

Telus is blocking incoming access to port 25. However, they are not blocking outgoing access to port 25 on other systems. So this should not be a factor.

I was looking at you email provider as you have indicated it to be dreamhost.com and have the following info that may again be of assistance to you... Cheers...

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215612887-Email-client-protocols-and-port-numbers

Da-Dai
Friendly Neighbour

I somehow switched the SMTP port from 25 to 587, and it worked! Thank you for your support and time to help me solve this issue! Really appreciated!

@Da-Dai Wrote: I somehow switched the SMTP port from 25 to 587, and it worked! Thank you for your support and time to help me solve this issue! Really appreciated!

You are welcome... Cheers...