cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot reach my smart hub from outside network

markp
Just Moved In

I have switched from a shaw cable modem to the Telus wireless smart hub service and cannot get peer to peer conectivity to my network/router. What I am attempting to do is to connect to internal services in my network for VPN, IP Cameras, SSH, Web Server and other services.

This is what I found so far:

1. I can tracert from my network to external hosts.
2. I cannot tracert outside my network from hosts on public hosts. I have tried both IP's in 6 & 7

3. I have validated the Smart Hub inside router by connecting my router to the WAN port and web server and ssh works

4. I can ping the smart hub router when connected from my router to the WAN port of the smart hub 

5. I cannot ping the IP assigned to my WAN IP

6. Telus has set my service up with the APN for peer to peer service (pub.telus.com). And I seem to be getting assigned a static shared public IP (100.x.y.z)

7. Whats My IP gives a different IP (204.x.y.z) than assigned to my wan port (100.x.y.z). Not sure why its differnt than the IP assigned to the router

8. I have tried pinging both IP's above

9. I have setup ddns with the smart hub and the host name is resolving to the WAN port ID (100.x.y.z) using noip.com

10. tracert from external network seems to progress until in a 100.x.y.z network and then requests time out. My thinking is that somewhere there is a routing configuration missing in the final hops.

I am assuming peer to peer service is what I need but cannot get connectivity from external networks to my router. I have had multiple calls with telus support and have not found someone experienced enough to understand the problem excluding one that at least got me pointed at P2P. I learn't quickly to not mention anything regarding port forwarding which they say is not supported but I have confirmed though my testing that por forwarding works fine. I have reduced the probleme to simple conectivity to see if they can assist.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve.

1 REPLY 1

TELUS_Support
Official Support Team
Official Support Team

Hey @markp - this is out of scope from us so I hope that someone in the forum can answer these issues

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.