cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't ping NH20A from WAN/internet

electronker2
Neighbour

On my NH20A, I have un-selected "Discard Ping To WAN Interface" (under Intrusion Detection).  Yet I cannot ping the device from the internet, using the WAN address of the device (162.156.58.69).  I am pinging from my phone, with wifi disabled, so it is definitely pinging from the WAN, not within the LAN.   Any ideas?

Ultimately I am looking to configure port forwarding to a LAN device, which I will be able to do once I can "see" the NH20A from the WAN.  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You won't be able to ping your WAN IP from within your home network. I can ping that IP you provided without issue.

Edit: You also won't be able to connect to your WAN IP from your home network either to test if the ports are working. You'll need another device either on a different connection, cellular, or using a VPN.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

electronker2
Neighbour

@Nighthawk , thanks for your reply.  Actually I have been trying to ping and tracert to my home network from my office in another city, and from cloud-based ping tools.  The WAN address assigned to my NH20A gateway cannot be reached from the internet.  Is a Telus central office firewall blocking inbound traffic?  @TELUS_Support  can you comment please on whether a NH20A should be reachable from the internet?  Thanks!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Was the IP address that you posted earlier the WAN IP from the admin page on the NH20A or the IP showing when you go to a website like WhatIsMyIP.com? I would assume if both match that you should be able to connect. I use the older T3200M gateway from Telus and can port forward since both IPs match for me.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂